safc tuning ? settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X6

Well the only time you should add a AFC controler is if you are RUNNING LARGER INJECTORS THAN THE ECU IS PRE-TUNED FOR. Putting a fpr on stock injectors is not going to make it flow more cc's than they are rated for.
    The reason you got more response when you changed fpr's is cause you were using the stock EGT fpr on GTX injectors wich either gave them too much regulation or not enough to match the gtx fpr. So now you probably have close to proper fuel GTX curve. But now your confusing the ECU by having a AFC cause your changing the voltage signals that the MAF is sending to the ecu.
    Also a turbo car is suppose to run slightly rich otherwise if its running lean then you will melt the pistons.

Im not dogging you I just want to point you in the right direction

When I had the 460cc injectors with the vf10 hybrid with a NA ECU. I copied Bugs's AFCII settings he posted awhile back, and guess what my car ran beautiful until I got greedy with the boost levels.

If you really want to get a good tune on a budget and still retain the stock GTX or NA ecu is to go Greddy E-Manage.

Otherwise leave it alone if your running GTX injectors and turbo, you do not need a afc controller or wideband.
    Last edited by TurboProto; 04-17-2009, 12:34 PM.
    1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stylingtwagon View Post
      well i dont care what the safc is said to do HOLY F*CKIN *HIT I TURNED UP THE FUEL BETTWEEN 3000 and 7000 rpm 20% more and damn i got a major power gain it felt like the first day i drove boosted again i was spining tire at 60mph in third gear !!! and no i dont have small tires .it is friken sweet even still after the run i put the injectors back to 0% (stock)and recirced my bov
      and my gas milige is way better and the car runs sweet now no more problems mt bpt is finally running great even still my next purchase will be a narrow or wide band .is a narrow band very accurate at all ?i mean will it even give me an idea of how its running .
      And your taking our advice all wrong. We're not dissing you, its just that we're answering your question and its not what you want to hear so your getting pissy and defensive. The thing is a stock bpt really doesnt need to be tuned unless you got some serious boost (non stock turbo) with large injectors. You cant do one without the other upgrade the boost or fuel cause its not going to maximize the performance that your trying to do. Even the NA motor with boost has the same basic's in tuning.
      If you really want the best tune for your car ask LEX. Back in the day he made his own afc type controller and he is very smart when it comes to tuning and I trust his knowledge.
      Even im asking Lex questions right now about tuning with a megasquirt and whats best for certain applications of fuel and turbos.
      Last edited by TurboProto; 04-18-2009, 01:38 AM.
      1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

ok well thats cool and all but i heard that when u put the 460 injectors on a bpt u need a safc .i have 2 im waiting for the junkyard to get another car in .

Comment

Originally posted by stylingtwagon View Post
          ok well thats cool and all but i heard that when u put the 460 injectors on a bpt u need a safc .i have 2 im waiting for the junkyard to get another car in .
          Stop doing what you have heard works and do what really works.

Aftemarket or modded stuff isnt always the best.
          ok heres the thing. your copying everyone who has upgraded there bpt motor.
          But your forgetting one thing.. you still have a stock turbo. putting larger injectors on a stock turbo is only going to wash out your oil from your cyl and then youll have engine problems. Even if you run 14 psi on the vj20 the amount of airflow(cfm) isnt going to compair with a larger turbo at the same psi cause it flows more air not just pressure(psi). Even a afc isnt going to adjust the tune enough to maximaze performance. Remember the afc doesnt control the injectors or the pulse or how much the flow. The Afc simply attaches to the vaf wires and sends different voltage signals to the ecu which will change the way the motor will run.

You dont need to impress any of us with a mod list that doesnt even improve a NA motor. Just be your self and quit trying to fix something when it isnt broken. Honestly the stuff your trying to do will only slow you down in the end. Take it from us bpt veterains I put over 30k miles of daily driving on my car and dannys car(oldschoolricer) and took it to the dragstrip once or twice a month. And both of our cars just barely took a crap cause of the hard driving and the motors being used.

Leave your motor alone otherwise youll be apart of the zoom zoom boom club.
          Last edited by TurboProto; 04-18-2009, 01:15 PM.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

only other thing to say about this is. VALLA CON DIOS. lol
            like lil wayne says: i wish i can **** every girl in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
              As we discussed on aim, you're running a n/a ecu,bigger injectors and bigger turbo so your safc isn't used asa band aid. Yours is a tuning tool. He shouldn't need a safc on a stock gtx setup. He isn't even running any wideband to tell if he is in fact running lean or rich. Yea burning eyes at idle will lean towards a rich burn but if he's running lean at wot and running that rich at idle then there's something wrong with his setup.

I'm not trying to rag on you style just trying to help. Hell when I put the bigger injectors and turbo on mine I may run a safc for tuning because I really believe I won't be able to get it to run lean enough. Suggestion, get a wideband and disconnect the safc and put the afpr at stock psi and see if you can get it to the right numbers by adjusting the vaf. I know with mine 1 click 1 way makes it run low 13s and 1 click the other way makes it run high 15s at idle so you really have to get it just right.
              You still didn't understand the whole part about Stock setups are good for stock power settings that run "efficiently." Yes you don't need a SAFC II to turn up the boost, but it works better to have one when you do. And I didn't have a wideband for the first 2yrs I had my setup, I will admit dumb, but I did fine without it.

But I still think if the car runs better using the SAFC than without, you are on the right track. From what I understand he hasn't adjusted his MAF at all... so I bet he is still running the stock Protege maf... and what does the SAFC make up for!

And the +% does work on the SAFC if you are using the right size injectors for the ECU, when you replace them with bigger ones it doesn't do a lot...

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
              Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Originally posted by BuGS View Post
                You still didn't understand the whole part about Stock setups are good for stock power settings that run "efficiently." Yes you don't need a SAFC II to turn up the boost, but it works better to have one when you do. And I didn't have a wideband for the first 2yrs I had my setup, I will admit dumb, but I did fine without it.

But I still think if the car runs better using the SAFC than without, you are on the right track. From what I understand he hasn't adjusted his MAF at all... so I bet he is still running the stock Protege maf... and what does the SAFC make up for!

And the +% does work on the SAFC if you are using the right size injectors for the ECU, when you replace them with bigger ones it doesn't do a lot...
                Thank you for basically saying exactly what I said. As for the vaf I think he's running the rx7 1. I could be wrong.
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Working...
                X