No announcement yet.

fe3 tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kia is already set up that way. Coil on plug. I'm really looking for something with more aggressive fuel and timing maps. I almost have it going with the Kia ecm and harness. Unless it totally sucks I will probably just use that. But if the mitsu thing works better,doesn't make me pull my hair out, and doesn't cost zillion dollars, I will try it.
    I am an idiot.
    I am building a fwd racecar.

Comment

Bump
      I am an idiot.

Comment

The Kia uses a cam sensor, in conjuction with a crank sensor mounted in the bell housing, it picks up on a slotted ring around the flywheel. Its a ****ing **** of a setup to use, becuase you have to 1. Use a kia flywheel, and 2. find the exact spot to mount the sensor in the bell housing. I would not recommend doing it because there are better options.

Like Ryan said, early 90's Mitsubishi Galant management works. They use a cam sensor only, and it is identical internally to a Mazda distributor. So you can just put a distributor in with no cap on it. Wire up the Mistubishi loom to it and it works fine. They use two dual post coils, you can either use them, or wire it up to stock Kia coils.

If you have the smarts to tear down, strip and rebuild a wiring loom, I would highly recommend using the Mistubishi gear.

Comment

i have to use the kia flywheel because the crank has 8 holes instead of the standard 6. i have it in the garage already. i have also already stripped the kia harness and removed all unnessary circuits, ie: evap solenoid, and such, i can start the truck easily with this setup. i will do some more research. also i dont know if the maxda disty will fit in my application with or without the cap. truck is rear wheel drive. i will have the motor in in a few short weeks and give more progress then.
          I am an idiot.

Comment

It will fit without a cap. JUST.

Comment

1 good whack with a BFH & it'd clear even better
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

That clearance sucks. I was talking to lex and we were wondering if the timing could be altered by manipulation of the crank sensor.

I will be using the Kia stuff for now.

I think I can design the crank sensor mount to be adjustable
                I am an idiot.

Comment

It actually has plenty of clearence. It just doesnt look like it in that picture. Just bend the heater outlet and it all fits in snugly. There is no way the motor will move enough to knock the firewall.

Comment

Working...
                  X