how failing smog check almost cost me my house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how failing smog check almost cost me my house

I wasn't gonna share this lil story, cuz ain't no one else gonna have the same issue, but since I spent yesterday thrashing in the snow and made sure that neither me nor the car was damaged, and maybe just maybe someone else'll have occasion to try to repair their standalone ECU. So y'all can read on, see just how close this came to being the mother of all zoom zoom boom threads, go ahead and have a chuckle at my expense; now that I can look back on it and laugh, I don't care...Long read though, y'all been warned.

So there I was, with a test report says failed CO at idle. So all I gotta do is talk to the (Link) ECU and lean out the idle fuel. Only problem is, the datapad/PC ribbon cable ain't working. Trouble on the ecu mainboard. Been that way for a year but who cares, tuning's long done and I don't need to talk to the ecu anyhow, till now. This won't be the first time I've had to touch up cracked solder joints. I've redone all the pins for the sockets, the injector drivers, and even had to run a jumper wire from the processor block to the ribbon cable block when I couldn't get continuity down the circuit trace no matter what I tried. So back in there, get out the magnifying glass, and go to it. 3 cracked joints on the processor block, 1 more elsewhere, touch em up, and reinstall.

You know that low ominous music note in every horror movie ever made, that comes up right before the character just cluelessly wanders on and you're saying to yourself "WTF is the MATTER with you, GTFO before your head comes RIGHT off" and they go and get their head removed anyway? Yeah. I couldn't hear that scary music either.

I go to start the car. Pump is running, nothing else is obviously wrong, the keypad even works, hey hey lookit that, just have this little detail of it not wanting to start. Try again and now it don't even wanna crank over? Musta left something on and battery is tired maybe? (BWWAAAAAAAAA scary music note again) (didn't hear it, again) (dumbass)
    Put the battery on a charger, pulled the plugs, set 'em on the valve cover wired up so I can see if I have spark. Been there, done that, countless times. I go crank it up and jeeeezuss****ing **** my face starts melting like those Nazis in the Indiana Jones movie as my engine does it's best Old Faithful impression, sending at least 2 full cylinders worth of Chevron's finest all the way up into the rafters of my garage and front wall and fenders and hood and just ****ing EVERYwhere holy crap OMGWTFBBQ oh and BTW, yes you *do* have spark why do you ask?

Times like this when I think "go have a midlife crisis or something already and buy something new with a warranty so some other poor schmuck can screw with it when it breaks" but I never do. There must be something wrong with me.

I have absolutely no idea why my whole world didn't catch fire, but sometimes fate smiles on the stupid I guess. Whatever solderjoint touching up I did, I must have grounded the injector drivers one way or another. They were being held at 100% duty cycle from the moment I turned the key, filling the cylinders and much of the crankcase. As soon as I chilled the **** out, I removed the ECU, and didn't find any crossed joints, so out comes the meter and lookee there, no continuity tween 4 or 5 pins and their traces. Board delaminated? Busted traces under the green laquer? No idea. I ended up having to make 8 or 9 jumper wires on the backside of that mainboard, unbelievably hard picky work, to get those damn electrons to go where they were supposed to. It took a couple days but now the silly wires are all potted in place, the car works, I measured to make certain I didn't bend a rod and did compression test to see that I didn't break a ring land when the starter tried to turn the engine against hydrolocked cylinders, all it needed was oilchange. Then I went in and leaned out idle fuel. Maybe later today I'll try to pass smogtest again.

So the moral of the story is, don't take ANYTHING for granted when working on the guts of your ECU. Next time I screw with it, I'll unplug the injectors first, then turn the key on, then check spark, etc etc etc before starting the car.
    Meanwhile, I think I better start saving pennies for a new standalone...
    Last edited by jay; 11-23-2010, 10:35 AM.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Jay, you make the scariest of times seem like the funnest of times. Glad there was no permanent damage. I'd hate to not get another chance to ride in your car.

Or your house, yeah, that'd be bad if it burned.
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Wow i'm glad your car and house didn't go ablaze.
      Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
      "Who Dey"

Comment

yikes!! I'm glad things turned out OK!!!

--sarge

Comment

Yyyyep, sometime's it's better to be lucky than good!
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

BWWAAAAA!!! glad you're ok man, thanks for sharing it with us.
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Wow, I can't even imagine.... Craig is right. You do make it sound funny in hindsight. Glad you didn't burn everything down.
              1990 Protege 4WD
              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

It's all a friggin laugh riot as long as the All Consuming Flaming Fireball of Death stays the hell away!

Comment

lol, reminds me of the time I was testing spark on the valve cover; the problem is that the car was warm and the vapors coming out of the cylinder ignited... I've never been hit so hard in the chest before, couldn't hear **** for the following 5 minutes but you know, lesson learned, carry extra sparkplugs...

Comment

LOL jay I would have never in a million years thought about the injectors being stuck wide open flooding the engine with gas. Surprised it didn't start running out of the seals and exhaust/intake manifold.
                    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                    |.....Overnight....................| ||
                    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

wow... so.. wanna re-create this for youtube?
                      1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                      Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                      "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

to save others
                        swapping into another shell!

Comment

gawd if we were to put up a vid of "what not to do" clips it'd prolly go viral

Comment

Upon reading the title of this thread I had no idea how it could have cost you your house. Now I understand, glad everything worked out SAFELY in the end.

Well written BTW.

Comment

Jeez, lol. Are you missing any hair. I have done something similar with the bbq. But it only cost me my eye brows lashes and lots of head hair. Haha im sure I looked hilarious. Good to hear that your place is safe.

By the way Jay I thought you got rid of the haltech??

Comment

Working...
                              X