Management options on my bpt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management options on my bpt

I just picked up an mx3 with a bpt swap. It's currently running an n/a BP ecu and VAF, with an SAFC. It doesn't drive very smooth this way, and seems really rich. I'm putting a wideband in it in the next week or so, so I won't know AFR for sure until then.

My main question is, would it be better to try and "tune" it on the safc, or find a GTX ecu and VAF? If it's cheaper than the stock stuff, I might also try to find a PnP megasquirt.

The NA BP timing curve and injectors that are ~40% smaller than those of the GTX make it tough to tune with that NA ECU. The cheapest alternative if you want to keep boost conservative and the stock injectors are a GTX ECU and an RX7 VAF. A Megasquirt is worth considering if you like to tune or have plans on running more than a VJ20 at 14psi.

Comment

It has GTX injectors in it now. Is there an advantage in using the rx7 VAF over the bpt VAF? (I don't remember the letter codes off hand). I do have an extra VAF off a bf GTX, would that work?

Next question is, I'm not sure exactly what engine harness is in the car. Since it was a factory 4cyl 5mt car, could it be possible to be using the BP ecu and VAF on the sohc harness? The guy gave me a bp26 ecu with the car. I guess I need to look into what alterations need to be made to let it work with this harness.

Comment

The SOHC and DOHC pinouts for the engine are the same. The GTX just has the 4 wire TPS that is really different. The RX7 VAF is the same size as the GTX VAF and this is why I suggested it.

Comment

Thanks again for your help, Lex. I'll look for the pinouts on here and try to locate a bpt VAF.

Any idea if the bf GTX VAF will work?

Comment

I've been told the gtr vaf is a great vaf that or run a 2nd gen rx7 turbo vaf. That rx7 turbo vaf and a gtx ecu should put you where you need it to be without spending a bunch of money on a ms even though the ms is the best method
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Rx7 VAF is the "B" code, correct? I have a "D" code VAF here, any clue if that will work?

Comment

rx7+ b-code yes . d-code is the 1.6 gtx isnt it ? unlikely that will work well

Comment

He vaf from the na rx7 is a b code. I can't remember what the code OS for the turbo rx7 vaf.
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

A-code is the rx7 turbo
                    the gtx vaf would technically work but its not as big
                    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Would the D code be an advantage over the U code currently in the car? I'm working in getting the VAF off my old Turbo II, but I want the car to run better than it does now. I'm not enjoying the feeling of this SAFC. It feels like its fighting itself down the road.

Comment

go MS and never go back

the D code probably would be better on the bpt ecu, on the n/a ecu im not so sure
                        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

My other cars have been powered by Lex built megasquirt, but I was trying to avoid that on this one. I'd like to keep it simple since its just my daily.

So I guess what I'm going to do is unplug my current ecu, power off the SAFC, and plug in the bpt ecu. I'll post up what happens.

Comment

Working...
                          X