X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haltec vs megasquirt

Looking to get one in the next couple weeks, just have a few questions

Which would be good for somebody learning how to tune

How hard is the haltec to wire in? I was planing on letting the stock ecu control non essentials like alternator etc

The plug and play of the megasquirt will be of no use to me in a few months when I start my swap, so the easiness of that does me no good, I just want to see what I can get out of the little b6t before it gets ripped out

Haltech is a giant pain in the dick. I don't miss mine.
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

what are you installing in place of the b6t that would make MS redundant ? seeing how adaptable the platform is . the pnp of it is simply having a pre-wired connector for the oem harness . thats easily changed

Comment

I'm going to be doing an evo 8 swap. Already have the motor just trying to find a trans.

I've considered one of the many things they make for the dsms but I'm not sure what I'd be doing with the gauges at that point, not that they will work any ways, but its on a long list of stuff to figure out.

Haltec and megasquirt seem to be the most proven things so far, but I know very little about ems so I figured I'll ask.

Comment

Not a tech speaking.
          Haltech=expensive but easier
          Megasquirt=more DYI but cheaper.
          Both will serve your needs. It just depends on on which you have more of, time and patient or money.
          1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
          1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
          2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
          1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
            Haltech is a giant pain in the dick. I don't miss mine.
            Did you get burned by an E6 or E6K, my friend?

Those things were GARBAGE.

The modern Sprint 500, Platinum Sport 1000 and 2000 are awesome and surprisingly fairly-priced.

However, if you're up to doing the entire thing by yourself, may as well go with Megasquirt and save some bucks. The biggest advantage to going with a "name brand" EMS these days is the face-to-face support you can get that is not present with Megasquirt.

If i had the time to do all my setup and tuning myself, i'd go Megasquirt. I don't, so i went Haltech.

The wiring doesn't look bad with the Haltech. If you go that route, make sure you get the "long" flying lead, and then it's really nothing more than splicing/terminating a few wires.

Comment

yo, real talk? at this point I just hate standalones. **** spending time/money trying to get something fancy to work as well as my factory ECU, haha

(and yes, I had an E6K)
              sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
              92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
                yo, real talk? at this point I just hate standalones. **** spending time/money trying to get something fancy to work as well as my factory ECU, haha

(and yes, I had an E6K)
                Heard dat.

Comment

I think at this point I'm going to go with megasquirt, then when the swap comes ill be going with dsm link, and may find a festiva shell for the b6t

Comment

Working...
                  X