No announcement yet.

intercooler sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very nice charles, lol....thats what i was planning on doing...what marc posted...
    91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
    Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

FMIC is #1, whatever is in its way has to go!!!! thats my rule..

Comment

I found a website with a section on intercoolers, it might be helpful.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

I am running with factory ac, so the only way to run the pipe from the turbo to the i.c is to go under it. Every great once in a while I will rub it, but nothing like my lower tie bar. I was going to go through the body, but the a.c. was in the way. hopefully you can tell whats going on in this pic. I will post a pic of the part that hangs below.
          Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

Here is the pipe that goes under the car.
            Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

i cant see the pics....
              Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

damn those spearco IC are nice.
                I am going to see if I can get one elsewhere for cheaper tho.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                  Hmmm

lol
                  TIZAUT!
                  Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                  Beige 1994 Protege DX
                  Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

You can cut into the Factory Metal next to the radiator area and then run the pipes in. Figure you can get silicone 90 degree bends and then just run the pipes in. I figure thought that since we have such space limitations we may as well use silicone pipes from the turbo outlet to intercooler inlet and silicone partially from intercooler outlet to metal pipes to the throttle body. The silicone hoses will stay cooler anyway and youc an use the hard pipe to mount your bov.

Charles for gods sake that bumper.. your not keeping it right..
                    Otherwise sweet deal.
                    Glad to see your turbo swap is coming along good.
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

you should run piping that is as big as the narrowest point in the system. example: if the turbo outlet is 2 inch id, then running 2 inch pipe through the entire system would be ideal. running 2.5 or 3 inch pipe in this situation would be completly useless, although it probably wont hurt anything.

the airflow is only as good as the weakest link, and in most cases, that is the outlet of the turbo.
                      find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

actually turbo size, intercooler size, power output, flow, EVERYTHING needs to be thought about when doing intercooler pipeing. Too small can hurt power, but too big can result in very unneccecary turbo lag. If you aren't planning on makeing gobs of power no bigger than 2 1/4-2.5 is really needed.

Comment

I assume that your long term plans are to eventually keep on upgrading the turbo system. If that's the case than I'd go with 2.5" intercooler piping. You don't want to be upgrading the piping again in a few years.

Also, keep in mind that you'll need to make custom flanges for the pipes and you'll eventually need to make your own gaskets as well. There'll also be a lot of cutting involved. It's a long and painful process, especially if you don't have someone to make them for you for a decent price. Don't forget that you'll need silicone connectors and clamps as well and those things are not cheap.

I got all of my mandrel bent piping from JcWhitney. Very happy with their delivery time and the bends themselves. I can get you an exact number of what kind of bends I used and how many were needed. It should cost you around $100 for everything.
                          Here's a 10% off coupon that I got from JcWhitney. It should knock out a couple of dollars from the total.
                          Internet orders: Enter the promotion code AJGN689 during checkout.

My setup intercooler setup is almost completely finished. I should be able to get you some detailed pics if you'd like.
                          -------------------------
                          '91 LX
                          '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                          -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                          well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                            My setup intercooler setup is almost completely finished. I should be able to get you some detailed pics if you'd like.
                            What size intercooler and piping are you using? How's the fitment?

Im thinking about going with this intercooler.
                            2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

pics and what partsare needed would be greatly appreciated!
                              thanx for the coupon man!