Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VJ-20 Hybrid turbo? IHI T-Bird comp side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you took the cold side and center section and shove it into the VJ-11 exhaust housing you will still have a 15r lol

Comment

sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

The t-bird turbo also uses the larger 20R turbine wheel and housing, just as the vj-11 (NOT so with the vj-20)...thats what makes it all so simple...no wheel swapping, FYI.

The 20R turbine has a greater a/r than the 15R...thus spool up onset will be later, but possibly more efficient at higher exhaust flows and less exhaust back pressure in the manifold and chambers...I'll avoid anymore bench racing here.

True, to use the t-bird hybrid with the vj-20, and its exhaust housing, then the vj-20 turbine wheel would have to be used...and thus one would still have the 15R housing, wheel, and resulting smaller a/r on the turbine side...if thats what y'all thought.
      Later, Jay

Comment

say it is a 20r never had a vj11 why would you want turbo lag?
        Last edited by smoke187; 12-16-2007, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Sorry to add any confusion...that has been my battle all along, and the reason why creating a hybrid has been frustrating to say the least.
          Please refer to:

It explains the interchangability and numbering of IHI turbos. And should clarify your question.

I have only been refering to the hot side, and changing a/r of the housing, and resulting change of boost onset.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to engineer lag, but rather reduce backpressure in the manifold and exhaust ports...trying to have boost pressure actually exceed exhaust back pressure pre turbo (cross over). It really is a lame attempt at increasing/maintaining volumetric efficiency...but a pipe dream, or atleast reduce any negatives when messing with the efficiency of a n/a factory bp.

Most of the time the only variable ever mentioned is the a/r of the cold side, and resuling changes to boost efficiency. In fact, that is ultimately what we are all after, but I needed to understand the other side of the coin, so to speak.

I researched until I found a scenario where I could buy a new turbo and not actually remove either turbine or compressor wheels; simply move the center as a whole, but in this case I also wanted the slightly larger t-bird compressor too. All other discussions have had to swap wheels around. I actually wanted a VF-22 (Australia, NZ, JP, etc) it has a huge compressor and also the 20R exhaust side.
          Last edited by heyoldguy2002; 12-16-2007, 10:14 PM. Reason: sorry didn't actually answer question
          Later, Jay

Comment

id be very interested to see a few graphs both flow & dyno comparing results between the 15r & 20R housings. .59 AR VS .787 AR for turbine housings is a decent change. effective boost, & powerband will change, just how much im not sure.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

my 2 cents worth

go with a VJ20/VF10 hybrid (cheap and works)
              Not sure if you yanks got the VF8/12 setups in your subaru's they are worth that bit extra

the above hybrid is a small upgrade compared to other setups
              TD05 T3,T4 VF22 setups

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
              1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Comment

DaveOr, you are very right. North America got left off the list for bigger turbos.And what you mentioned is spot on. I would have liked a new vf-22.

I only made the (minor) upgrade because I stumbled upon a new t-bird turbo and already had the modified vj-11.And other reasons already outlined.

Believe me when I say to everyone...I am not a huge advocate of this hybrid adventure. I only wanted something that would bolt on relatively easy to the BP turbo manifold (thanks Corksport), and upon realizing that a new vj-20 was super rare...researched alternatives.

Nuff said.

Go Canuks.
                Later, Jay

Comment

I Say Ditch The Ihi Turbo And Go Aftermarket

But Hey If Thats All U Can Do For Now

By All Means Go For It.

Good Luck On Finding The Rite Ihi Turbo Setup. For Ur Needs
                  92 Mazda MX-3 (2120lbs) (12.4@118@18psi)1.8 DOHC ,Eletromotive TEC II Standalone System, Turbo Ric Project Turbo Kit, Custom intake manifold 80MM Mustang TB, PT67 P-TRIM TURBO, Custom turbo manifold, 3 in. down pipe, Innovate wideband, 1000cc RC Injecters,walbro 255, custom fuel rail, Areomotive FPR, MSD wires, NGK V-Power R5671A-8 plugs, 31 1/2" L x 10 5/8" H x 3 1/2" D Percision Turbo 750HP FMIC , 2.5in intercooler piping, Tial wastegate/BOV, Unrothdox UDP, KIA G-series trans, ACT 6 puck extreme clutch,(Need a twin disc) 30psi guage&10,000RPM tach (autometer)(EQUUS guages), NO I DON'T HAVE A BPT I HAVE A REUGLAR BP-DE. (updated)

Otherwise known as LIMEGREEN MX-3
                  12 sec MX-3TURBO RIC PROJECT MX-3
                  http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=59746
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3dn-fw9S7s
                  http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=56488

Comment

IHI turbo's are wonderfully designed, however their range & compatibility isn't exactly all there for direct use on the BP. let alone how available they are.
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

The IHI VJ23 is probably one of the best turbo for the BP anywhere .... however really hard to find.

Comment

nothing wrong with IHI turbos,

just stay away from the older non-water cooled models
                        and that rule goes with all turbo's

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
                        1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Comment

Working...
                        X