EGT Temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGT Temps?

What are good EGT Temps? I don't have a wideband and the closest dyno is 3 hrs over a MTN pass so I want to tune my car as good as I can. Also this is for the Probe being right behind the Turbo.

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
    Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Mine is about 6 inches from the DP, maybe a bit more. When cruising in 5th it varies from 900-1200, at idle it can go as low as 400, but as high as 600. When I get on it through 3 gears, it gets as high as 1250 or <.
    BP-05 Turbo-Sold
    2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by elscotto80
      Mine is about 6 inches from the DP, maybe a bit more. When cruising in 5th it varies from 900-1200, at idle it can go as low as 400, but as high as 600. When I get on it through 3 gears, it gets as high as 1250 or <.
      hmmm.... mine sits 2-3 inches down from the turbo and i can barely push it into the 800F zone :-/ guess ima running r$$$ch!

Comment

Odd, I have the GTX injectors and GTX ecu.

BP-05 Turbo-Sold
        2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by elscotto80
          Odd, I have the GTX injectors and GTX ecu.

rx7 injectors, stock ecu + safc. im tuned to run a bit rich

on hte other hand, my car ran 1200F when beaten on N/A. If you are getting those temps in the dp after the turbo, maybe you should get on a dyno to check a/f ratios.... not doubting the ecu or anything, but remember people saying temps in dp are about 300F less then manifold. Which means you have 1500F after the engine :-/ a bit high

Comment

aren't you supposed to tap the header?

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
              aren't you supposed to tap the header?
              you are.... but with cast iron or stainless steel its somewhat inconvenient when you dont have proper tools. So it's much easier to tap the downpipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreator
                you are.... but with cast iron or stainless steel its somewhat inconvenient when you dont have proper tools. So it's much easier to tap the downpipe.
                ah, i see. there was some discussion about this over on the wrx board, and the general consensus was that the absolute best way to do it was to have a 4 channel egt with dedicated probes for each cylinder. but that also gets expensive, the cheaper way they decided was to tap the header on the lean cylinder (#3 for them iirc), that way they'd see worst-case scenario numbers.

Comment

hmmm.... mine sits 2-3 inches down from the turbo and i can barely push it into the 800F zone :-/ guess ima running r$$$ch!
                  This same thing happened on my car. The manifold was tapped for a Greddy EGT but I was running an Autometer probe. Turned out the probe wasn't getting in the manifold deep enough and thus not getting hot enough to read properly. I was running lean at the time so they needle should have been hitting about 1400 degrees.

Comment

proper tools being something other than several drill bits, a pipe thread tap, and motor oil?
                    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

well, as I understand it, it's not as simple as you would think. due to the fact that if done improperly, you will end up with metal shavings in your turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT
                        proper tools being something other than several drill bits, a pipe thread tap, and motor oil?
                        cast manifolds rarely have a good enough spot to tap. Reason is, the egt probe is pretty long - about 2.5 inches - mine sits almost across the whole dp piece and its offsetted by a bung. it's hard to find a runner that big in diameter and cast manifolds rarely have a collector.

ss manifolds have collector, but they are too thin to tap and require a bung - which is hard to weld if you don't have a decent welder. you could obviously take it to shop, but i dunnow... i felt lazy and didn't want to **** up the manifold.

Comment

hm... my egt probe is pretty small, i think under an inch. guess it depends on the brand.
                          sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                          92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT
                            hm... my egt probe is pretty small, i think under an inch. guess it depends on the brand.
                            could be. mine is isspro. what brand is yours?

Comment

I was just scared of the probe breaking off and ruining my hybrid. The murphy's law is like my life slougan...

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                              Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Working...
                              X