Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knock sensor and 20hp loss - a myth?

Hey guys,

Reading the GTR manual, it says that the failsafe for not having a knock sensor is a reduction in timing by 1 degree! 1 degree, is that the cause of the claimed 20 hp power loss? Or is this 20hp power loss without a knock sensor another myth?

Can someone with first hand experience confirm? Jordy? Charles? Dave?

EDIT: If it is 1 degree retard, can't we just advance timing using the disty by 1 degree and be done with it?
    Last edited by Lex; 06-11-2005, 11:39 PM.

Originally posted by Lex
    Hey guys,

Reading the GTR manual, it says that the failsafe for not having a knock sensor is a reduction in timing by 1 degree! 1 degree, is that the cause of the claimed 20 hp power loss? Or is this 20hp power loss without a knock sensor another myth?

Can someone with first hand experience confirm? Jordy? Charles? Dave?

EDIT: If it is 1 degree retard, can't we just advance timing using the disty by 1 degree and be done with it?
    good info, but isnt the GTR ecu completely different from the GTX one? Is there a greater decrease in timing since the GTR could probably handle more abuse than the GTX one?

Good find d00d.

Bump for more info.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Not sure but my GTX is running super rich. i don't have the knock sensor or 4th wire for the TPS.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

if you get a knock sensor hooked up take it to a dyno, and unplug it and see how much HP you lose from a base pull.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

The Ford Laser guys also said it was 1 degree (they have BPTs) - if anyone has a GTX FSM, we could figure it out easily.

Comment

What should your timing be for a N/A Turbo'd BP??? Right now I have it at the stock 10 degree but an thinking of lowering it to 9 or 8. BTW running 92 Octane from 76.

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
            Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

If it's a turboed NA, you have a few things to consider.

1. Your na block has a higher compression

2. if you're using an na ECU, it advances the timing much more than a BP26, or 55

So in your case, you should take those things into consideration when setting the base timing - however, there isnt much you can do about the way the ECU advances timing unless you go standalone ignition.

Comment

I'm betting thats a misprint and suppose to be more like 10 degrees not just 1! :ARCADE:
                **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

I doubt it. It seems to be in the GTX and GTR manuals

Comment

i hooked up both wires on my knock sensor and didnt knowtice ANY difference... 20hp is just another myth
                    91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.