Now at 13 PSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now at 13 PSI

Well, I received my Ebay boost controller in the mail today and decided it would be a quick install. It was ... but a few things happenned.

First of all, I have my boost gauge connected to my wastegate line off the top IC pipe going into the throttle body. I didn't think things through and placed the boost controoler BEFORE the boost gauge. Now ... I was still seeing the same 9 stock psi going into the wastegate, and not real psi in the charged pipe.

After reversing this process and putting the controller AFTER the gauge on the line going to the wastegate, the boost tuning started to happen. This thing was pretty touchy. At first, I had trouble getting off stock boost ... but a learned that a quick turn on the knob got me past 14 psi quickly. I didn't want to run more than 12-13 psi, especially since under very high load situations, the boost creeps another 1 psi or so.

To make a long story short, after about 7 drives up and down this road and adjusting the stupid thing, I hit the sweet spot of 13 psi at WOT in 2nd gear ... meaning about 14 psi in 5th under WOT.

The car pulls beautifully, and the whine of the turbo is higher pitched now. No pinging, and my narrowbad A/F gauge does not budge from rich from the point where I hit boost to 13 psi. My EGTs are perhaps a little higher when I beat on it, but only about 50 degrees or so.

Overall, I am very happy and will probably leave boost as is for now. I know you guys say the GTX ECU/injectors are good for 14-15 psi and I think I am at about the right spot.

just turned my VF10 up to around 8.5. It whines nice. Hopefully I can get it to 13. I just need to figure out my tuning. What are your EGT's? ANd how close is the bung to the Turbo?

Clayton

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
    Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Egt's are 800-1000 around the city. about 1000 cruising on the highway. I've gotten it to 1250 when really hitting it uphill at around 10 psi of boost then.

Bung is 1/2 inch from the cast part of the stock GTX downpipe.

What is your stock wastegate set on the Vf10? The Vj20 wastegate is close to 9psi. For management I am running the BP55 GTX ECU and RX7 Vaf with a Walbro on 330cc injectors and 13 psi seems to be just fine.

Comment

i wastegate has a mind of its own so most of the time i push between 10-15psi and no problems other then the random blue smoke that it has done since the first time i turned the ****er on...
        91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
        Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

Wussy boost, upgrade turbo and run 20psi low boost for daliy like me. :D

Comment

which rx7 vaf are you using? na or turbo

Comment

Haha, Denis, I just don't have the money to invest as much as you did in your Scort - maybe someday. I'm pretty happy with the boost as is.

Using the turbo RX-7 VAF and it's been tuned a little.

Comment

Small update.

I am now hitting 14 psi. If I let boost climb at part throttle, and I maintain part throttle, the car pulls great and does not lean out.

However, at WOT, still maintaining 14 psi it seems to lean out. I heard the GTX injectors/ECU (BP55) are good to about 15 psi.

Has anyone had this problem? Could it be the VAF that needs more tuning? I'm a little confused by this issue.

Comment

Your 330cc's are crying at 15psi at WOT.

Comment

So you're saying turn down the boost a little

Comment

13psi will be fine.

Comment

hmm it's weird cause at WOT with 370cc's I seem to lean out around 10 PSI now. Anyone have a qlue? I can go like 75-80% throttle and everything stays fine but WOT sucks.

Comment

Where are you measuring your boost? Charge pipe or intake manny?

AT 10 psi I was fine at WOT

Have you tried richening things up with the VAF? I think that's what I want to try this weekend. I get the same things - part throttle all is great ... WOT and it no longer pulls as hard and leans out

Comment

Currently running my boost Sensor at the Intake Mani. I am thinking of moving it to the Wastegate line soon. Need more vac line. But besides that everything is good. I am thinking cause it is on the intake mani It is off so I am thinking of putiing it on the charge pipe here tomorrow or whenever I get time to mess with it.

Comment

my boost gauge is on the charge pipe on the line going to the wastegate. Remember to put it between the charged pipe and boost controller, NOT between the boost controller and the wastegate.

Are you going for bigger injectors? I somehow don't think the 370s are failing at 10 psi

Comment

Working...
                              X