Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about silicone and rubber hoses instead of metal for intercooler piping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about silicone and rubber hoses instead of metal for intercooler piping?

I am looking at options for turbo and intercooler piping. I found 2.5" 4 ply reinforced silicone hoses that can withstand temps to 400 deg. F and 30psi. I was thinking that this would be a good option because you can bend it anyway you want. Has anyone tried this and does the air on the cold side of a turbo get hotter than 400 deg F?
    Last edited by Pastor_Protege; 06-30-2005, 11:02 AM.
    Back in BG business.

The temperature is not a problem. However, you CAN'T bend them any way you like because they will kink as soon as you do. You will need to buy specific bends. I recommed against it because getting the bends connected to the rest of the piping is hard and silicone bends (especially) are costly. On the other hand, I would use a few silicone couplers in there with metal piping to account for flex and vibration.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
      The temperature is not a problem. However, you CAN'T bend them any way you like because they will kink as soon as you do. You will need to buy specific bends. I recommed against it because getting the bends connected to the rest of the piping is hard and silicone bends (especially) are costly. On the other hand, I would use a few silicone couplers in there with metal piping to account for flex and vibration.
      Good point about the kinking. I'll probably get a sampling of medal bends and attach them with silicone couplers.
      Back in BG business.

Comment

the rubber piping will work, its not the best way to do it, but it works, the 3000gt vr4's had a piss load of rubber intercooler piping from the factory, and it works just fine.
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

You can also check for pvc plumbing pipe. My friend use that on his gtr engine. I wasn't shure when i told me that the first time but until now he doesn't have any problem with it. Once it's glued together there no way of moving at all, we had to trow in the garbage 2 hours of job just because of a little misalignement in the pipe
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/protila
          Transmission mechanic

Comment

Hate to admit it, but I am using black pvc from the turbo to the IC. I used silicon tubing befor but it seemed to swell with the pressure. Im going to hard pipes when I can afford it but for now my 5 bucks worth of pvc works fine and Ive been running it for over a year.
            Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

I never thought of using PVC. I might give that a try. I just want something to get up and running. Then I can make adjustments and replacements later. Thanks.
              Back in BG business.

Comment

Just keep the PVC away from the heat and they will work fine. I am using some from my MAF to Turbo right now. Had a Muffler shop bend the rest. They look real good too.

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Working...
                X