Exhaust for turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust for turbo

Well, time has come to change my stock exhaust as I think Im missing out on a lot of power running 14 psi and stock EGT exhaust.

I don't have much to spend on this so here is what I'm thinking and here's what I have so far - let me know what you guys think.

I am going with the stock GTX downpipe into a 2.5 inch crush bent pipe, 2.5 inch in/out magnaflow cat, and 2.5 inch crush bent pipe to the end where I have a ricer muffler (similar to the really cheap ebay ones) that I got for next to nothing at the junkyard when I got my knock control box.

The muffler is a striaght-through design with a silencer on the end ... do those e-bay mufflers flow well? I just got it for next to nothing and it's straight through, I don't know if it's worth putting it on or going with a magnaflow which is not a straight through design.

sounds good to me. go for it. I wish I had a high flow cat I have the one for the 1.6L SOHC still

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
    Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Thanks Clay.

People say to go with mandrel bends ... but on a 2.5 inch exhaust, the diameter is still fairly large on a crush bend and the price for those is a lot cheaper.

Comment

just run open downpipe like me.haha

Need Vehicle Graphics, Decals, Headlight/Tail light tint? Visit http://www.graphxsigns.net or PM me!

Comment

how does that sound? hehe

Comment

put in a cut out after the DP, open exhaust on a small car makes it sound crappy
            Imagine an oldmobile with a really bad exhaust leak!!!
            but the cut out will let you run it open and be quiet(er) when your cruisin
            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

nah man, i'm sorry but open down pipe sounds mean on a turbo car. The spool up sounds awesome, the exhaust note is deep, but loud also. Its not that bad an idea to run it for a bit. What i'm doing is i am gonna dump my exhaust on the side in front of the passenger side rear tire. It'll have mufflers,etc though, but it will perform better. Try the open downpipe and see how you like it. It kinda varies as far as volume levels go. In my friends mazdaspeed pro, he was running open downpipe and it wasnt super loud, it was normal exhaust tone, but it spooled up real loud. Its worth a try, and you definitely get more performance. Haha, happy driving. Peace

Need Vehicle Graphics, Decals, Headlight/Tail light tint? Visit http://www.graphxsigns.net or PM me!

Comment

the downpipe ends just before the firewall on my car ... should I run it open from there .... it doesn't sound like such a great idea.

Comment

Lex, if you can afford it, go for a downpipe too.
                  I'll have my exhaust done in the following weeks and exhaust shops recommend me no more that 63mm (2.5 inch) exhaust piping for the vj-23. i guess with your vj-20, it will be ok.
                  ... and what do you guys mean with open downpipe? No exhaust at all after the downpipe?
                  :D:D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
                    the downpipe ends just before the firewall on my car ... should I run it open from there .... it doesn't sound like such a great idea.
                    Hey look! what's that? A red light! We should stop! Whose this "we"? Why, you and your best friend Un-catalyzed exhaust. But wait, he brought his homie: Carbon Monoxide! UH OH!

Comment

it's bad to wake up one day and see smb chained on your car and protest against pollution
                      you'll be late at work...

Comment

I am not a fan of the open downpipe ... so I will go for a full exhaust and I will probably stick to the 2.5 inch. The two things that I am undercided about are:

1. Is it worth getting a mandrel bent exhaust versus a crush bent one considering the price difference

2. Is it worth getting another downpipe again considering cost and the fact that the stock GTX downpipe is 2.25 inches I believe.

Comment

open dp is LOUD... like noise polution ticket while at idle loud... my FIRST trip in my car i set my cousins alarm off a good 50 yards from his house in 3rd gear doing like 20 mph...
                          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

The gtx downpipe is 2 inches as I remember but the real problem is that as the gasses come from the turbo, they hit the wall of the downpipe as they go towards the bottom. It's not a smooth change of direction and that causes ****ty gas flow.
                            The only problem is if you're running a/c. The downpipe was made like this in order to have the a/c pump fit next to it.

Comment

Hmm I need some people that have heard my car to be on here. It sounds so quit and deep. I love it. It sounds like I am not even going fast til you hear the RFL go PSHHHHH

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                              Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Working...
                              X