a couple of questions about turbos and the BP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a couple of questions about turbos and the BP

first off how much boost can a BP take given that you rebuild it for boost?
    two is there serton axles i need to buy?
    and lastly what kind of gas mileage should i expect from a highly boosted bp?
    all saying that im hoping for like 20psi can i do it safely with a BP?
    02 msp clone gone but will never be forgotten

If you tune the car and build it right 20 psi for a DD could be acheivable very easily. on the other hand, if you build it and cut corners it won't be pretty. I have seen 25 PSI on N/A Stock internals handle the power.

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
    Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

tune tune tune
      94 Protege LX

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

if you want to handle 25 psi daily, I'd rebuild the motor with beefy rods and weisco pistons. Gas mileage is proportional to power ... so if you want Viper power, you will get Viper mileage.

Corksport sells beefy axles, but you wont run into trouble until you make 350 or so hp at which point your tranny will be the main concern.

Comment

im not tryin to shoot too high im tryin to keep it real managable so i really dont think i would make that much power with 20psi 350+hp would be nice but from what i had read and been told on this fourm its really hard

Comment

depends .... you see, 20 psi at redline is very different from 20 psi spike at 4500 rpm and 14 psi at redline.

My VJ20 holds 14 through 4000 RPM but it is at 12 psi by redline. If you hold 20 to redline, you'd be putting down quite a bit of power

Comment

oh damn what kind of turbo holds 20psi at redline?

Comment

bp05 turbo

sorry alittle of topic but would the bp05 engine handle the vj20 turbo with stock bp05 injectors fuel pump and bp05 ecu? at 5psi?
                  anybody need a job? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/adg/163821642.html

Comment

Any car/engine can handle 5 psi
                    hello 4g63 nice to meet you

Comment

well i think that the vj20 is set at 9 pounds right? my engine has 130,xxx miles and i hear a little ticking on the engine when i turn it on do i have to rebuild the engine or just rebuild the head ? would anybody know?
                      anybody need a job? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/adg/163821642.html

Comment

Originally posted by mazdaspeedemon
                        oh damn what kind of turbo holds 20psi at redline?

A large T3 or a T3/T4 on our 1.8s

Comment

Originally posted by mazdaspeedemon
                          im hoping for like 20psi can i do it safely with a BP?
                          Are you talking about a VJ20? Because 20psi on one turbo will be different than 20psi on another
                          1992 Mazda Protege LX w/Primer spots
                          Plus new
                          1991 Mazda Protege LX w/138,000mi

Comment

Originally posted by BPower
                            Are you talking about a VJ20? Because 20psi on one turbo will be different than 20psi on another

No it won't. Like I stated before, unless you have changed the flow characteristics of a motor, 20 psi at the manifold is the same on any turbo.

What people are confused about is during what RPM range that 20 psi is. 20 psi at redline is very different from 20 psi at 4000 rpm ... and here is where a big turbo can hold that 20 psi to redline where a small one can't. This is because as RPM increases, the engine needs to flow more air and the turbo needs to flow more air to sustain the boost.

Once again, at the same rpm at the manifold, 20 psi will be the same no matter what turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by 92prolx
                              well i think that the vj20 is set at 9 pounds right? my engine has 130,xxx miles and i hear a little ticking on the engine when i turn it on do i have to rebuild the engine or just rebuild the head ? would anybody know?
                              you could rebuild either. if you have another head. swap that in and you'll be set. all it is is a suffering valve train. now if you have money rebuild the motor. but then for the price and for the amount you'll pay to turbo it you would have enough to buy yourself a gtx motor.
                              Regards.
                              Des.

Comment

Working...
                              X