No announcement yet.

Which turbo kit should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id say go with the turbo, you won't want to turbo that FSZE. The compression is a little to high to run safe boost unless you use a stand alone or a really good piggyback to control timing and fuel. Also note that the FSZE will not yeild 170hp, wont even come close. It is rated at close to 160 or so, its just in a different measurement. then factor in drivetrain losses and the fact that the ECU is different and you might see 120whp at best. Now when looking at turbo kits you might also consider the size of teh turbo, 10 psi on one is different than 10psi on another. I believe that esential speed uses the smaller turbo to get boost earlier. Thus they can go to a much higher psi and make similar numbers but have better driveability. With the essentialspeed kit at 10psi you would be looking at around 200whp. Their kit is well manufactured as I have had mine for over 40K and no problems yet. Any questions feel free to ask

Comment

dont the fs-de's blow up over 10 psi?

Comment

Nope, I've had no problems running 13 psi at times, generally 6-8 for daily driving though. If you have enough fuel you should be fine.

Comment

cool...whats the max boost u guys can run on ur engines? bp-de's can run about 20+ stock...how high can u go?
          Last edited by silver03p5; 10-27-2003, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Really depends on the turbo and the tunning, Big difference betweena T25,T3 and a T3/T4. Add tunning to the mix and I am sure you could do 15psi on stock internals for a smaller turbo maybe more. Depending on tunning and if you can get the fuel there.

Comment

yeah, thats straight...i heard that rods are thrown over 15 psi tho

Comment

so what's the best turbo to get for a 2L pro?

and just to make sure there's a nice concesus on this... turboing an FS_ZE isn't possible/advisable? I was looking into getting one for my car, then adding a turbo to that?

I have looked at the HiBoost turbo... seems pretty solid and esthetically pleasing.. and it's an excuse for me to drive to FL for a week

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

That decesion has to be made by you. You really need to research this a lot more. You need to look into what you can afford and what you would like to get out of the kit. Do you want top end power, city driving type power an all out drag car? there is a lot to consider not just price.

Comment

ok...
                    well.. it's not like i could afford this for another year, anyways.. i have tons of outstanding debts.. so i have lots of time to sit back and see what designers come up with... probably in like 18 months or so, i'll have enough cash to get a turbo.
                    i'm never going to just drag my car.. i may go a few times to the 1/4mile track we have.. but that'd be it..
                    just hard city driving...

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                    RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Ok, first the FS-ZE will not make 170 hp...170 ps is the power rating.

Second, the 170 ps is on an OBDI set up. You would have to do some serious work to make an OBDII car switch to OBDI runnign style. Can we say wiring nightmare. Not to mention really illegal!

And, you can turbo an FS-ZE, but what's the point? The compression is high and that limits your boost big time.

As far as the best turbo, it is your decision. But, I'll vouch for Flyin' Protege on their stuff. It's good and runs great. Plus they have plans for big advancements over the winter months. Stay tuned turbo fans...
                      "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                      2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by iwokeupfrmadrea
                        yeah, thats straight...i heard that rods are thrown over 15 psi tho
                        15psi on WHAT TURBO THOUGH? And what turbo does our block hold up to 20+psi? A VJ-20? A VJ-11....?
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by StuttersC
                          Read Corky's book before you think about getting a turbo...
                          max boost is the turbo ****in BIBLE!!!
                          "Squirrels are evil because they have thumbs."
                          - Chick McGee

Comment

ok, i have some things to add/say as well... if ur lookin at spendin the kind of $$ ur talkin bout for a KIT ($3-5k, right?), then y not learn a bit more and BUILD a kit... ive got my entire kit planned out, and itll come in slightly UNDER $1000, and be upgradeable (which any turbo 'kit' is actually) in the future when i get more $$ for better internals i KNOW will handle the pressure, as well as a standalone (tec 3 prolly at this point..)

first - buy a used turbo if possible... check shaft play, talk to ppl around the guy ur buyin it from (im talkin bout buyin local, like im doin..) and see how it was run, how it was hooked up, etc... im buyin a used 14b, fully ported for $50, cuz its blown... send it out to cheapturbo.com, and $250 later BAM!! theres a brand new turbo... im gettin a FREE fmic, i just need to pay a local shop to hack the end tanks off and re-tig new ones on for me... my full exhaust and ic piping will all be made from mandrel bends i buy from burnsstainless.com... just have everything welded together by a shop that knows what theyre doin... used dsm injectors... a good afc (apexi is really big around here...) the turbo manifold is actually going to be my stock exhaust manifold, with an adapter milled and welded onto it to mount the turbo... drill a hole in the oilpan and run an oil line for the turbo, throw on an mbc, and ur set!!
                            - Chick McGee

Comment

see, u can do that with a 1g, cuz its bettar...with a 3rd gen u must worry about explosions and whatnot

Comment

he could just buy some lower compression pistons, and stud the head... should be no prob... im actually surprised, one of my buddies went out and got one of the ms proteges, and my na 1st gen keeps up!!
                                - Chick McGee

Comment

Working...
                                X