turboing the 3rd gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
    yeah then be real careful if you boost a stock tranny, its a recipie for disaster.
    Then how did mine last as many years as it did?

Comment

I've heard a lot of ppl say that these trannys, especially the autos, don't hold up because of the heat that they have to endure. I'm no expert, but I know as soon as I fould that out I put the biggest tranny oil cooler on that I could find. That and synthetic oil, my tranny has stood up to some SERIOUS abuse. I don't know, just my .02
      -'91 Festiva L
      -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Are either of the previous two posts in this thread referring to a 3rd gen?

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
          Are either of the previous two posts in this thread referring to a 3rd gen?
          The 4FET series tranny is one of the crappiest auto trannies mazda built. If I could manage to hold mine together as long as I did I don't see how the 3rd gen could be as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Denis
            The 4FET series tranny is one of the crappiest auto trannies mazda built. If I could manage to hold mine together as long as I did I don't see how the 3rd gen could be as bad.
            Did your name just change? Anyways, the stock auto trannys seem to be able to withstand about 160-170whp which is usually 5-7psi on most of the setups. Anything more then that and they tend to crap out pretty quickly. However, there have been autos making upwards of 200whp and above but that is usually a very brief run, much like my very brief run of 13-14psi.

Maybe it is just me getting older and more mature, but I just don't see the point in spending $4000 on a turbo kit for a car that will only be capable of making such a small amount of power safely. If you are looking for some speed, go out and buy an old muscle car and slap on a nitrous kit and keep your Protege for what it is supposed to be, a daily driver.

Comment

b/c traction issues are fun! duh.....
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Oh, ouch. My mazda is a daily driver, but it's also a weekend warrior!! You know, I remember right before I bought my first protege, I had just started to watch touring car racing on speedvision. I watched as a second gen pro battled the lead 3 series BMW for first. The protege gained every lap until it finally passed the beemer on the outside of a corner. Three weeks later, I had bought my first protege. A '96, teal green. I beat the **** out of that car for six years, and then I gave it to my fiance. She uses it as a daily commuter now. Just rolled 150k. Leaks oil out of every possible oriface, but you know what. It starts every morning and gets 32 mpg. OH, and the tranny has never needed servicing.
                -'91 Festiva L
                -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                  b/c traction issues are fun! duh.....
                  I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by teqnyck
                    Oh, ouch. My mazda is a daily driver, but it's also a weekend warrior!! You know, I remember right before I bought my first protege, I had just started to watch touring car racing on speedvision. I watched as a second gen pro battled the lead 3 series BMW for first. The protege gained every lap until it finally passed the beemer on the outside of a corner. Three weeks later, I had bought my first protege. A '96, teal green. I beat the **** out of that car for six years, and then I gave it to my fiance. She uses it as a daily commuter now. Just rolled 150k. Leaks oil out of every possible oriface, but you know what. It starts every morning and gets 32 mpg. OH, and the tranny has never needed servicing.
                    i would die to see that race, do you have any more info on when it was?
                    see if i can download it

Comment

Haha, sorry pigeon, but that was a loooooong time ago and my brain has been through way too much trauma to remember what race that was. I can tell you that more recently I saw a team with a yellow P5 wagon that was wicked fast. I want to say that was something like 3 seasons ago? I believe it was at Laguna Seca, so it could have been a Mazda publicity thing, but I am not certain. I'll never forget the sound though. Some where between a nascar at 9k and tri-rotor drag car. I couldn't believe how well it handled.
                      -'91 Festiva L
                      -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Are you sure it wasn't a 3rd gen? They have multiple cars in that divison.

Comment

Come to think of it, it probably was. That was in '99 or '00 so it wouldn't surprise me. If anybody finds anything, make sure to post it!!
                          -'91 Festiva L
                          -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
                            Did your name just change? Anyways, the stock auto trannys seem to be able to withstand about 160-170whp which is usually 5-7psi on most of the setups. Anything more then that and they tend to crap out pretty quickly. However, there have been autos making upwards of 200whp and above but that is usually a very brief run, much like my very brief run of 13-14psi.

Maybe it is just me getting older and more mature, but I just don't see the point in spending $4000 on a turbo kit for a car that will only be capable of making such a small amount of power safely. If you are looking for some speed, go out and buy an old muscle car and slap on a nitrous kit and keep your Protege for what it is supposed to be, a daily driver.
                            ok i see your point but more power is the key now my car comes with like 130hp (thats at the flywheel) stock and its ok for driving everyday but 160-170whp makes the drive to work just that much better and i always have my 1st gen to go f'in nuts with and make it mad fast
                            02 msp clone gone but will never be forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by mazdaspeedemon
                              ok i see your point but more power is the key now my car comes with like 130hp (thats at the flywheel) stock and its ok for driving everyday but 160-170whp makes the drive to work just that much better and i always have my 1st gen to go f'in nuts with and make it mad fast

SO your basically looking for an extra ~75hp at the flywheel (after losses making close to ~160whp.) Thats alot of NA mods needed.
                              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                              X