need help on a turbo set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help on a turbo set up

i need help from someone who has turbo'd there pro. i have the 1.8 sohc engine i dont want to spend alot of money cuz its just going to be a daily driver so i was thinkin instead of doin the dohc swap to just turbo it. what would be all the parts that i would need and a estimate of how much it would cost. or would it just be smarter to swap the dohc.
    Thanks,
    Ethan
    my cars

to help you with a comparison, i swapped in a BP for about 1K, thats with all new extras on the motor

i can go dig up the reciepts and give a run down
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

if you're low on cash, consider an NA BP before going turbo. Turbo engines are expensive and less reliable if you don't put in the money to have a proper setup

Comment

Low on cash + daily driver (one car) do NOT turbo, etc. as its gonna break sooner or later because of low funds to do it properly in the 1st place!
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

aight well i guess just suspension for now then dohc swap and then eventually turbo.
          my cars

Comment

moved to FI section.

Ever considered supercharging? You could get an Eaton blower off of eBay for cheap, along with some high impedance injectors, and just stick it where the AC bracket is. Piping is the only issue, but even thats not a major one. If you run 6psi or less you wouldn't even need an intercooler. If you decided you wanted one, you could get an MX-6 SMIC or a different small SAAB one or something... it would make it a lot more fun then the 108hp currently. Just as quick if not quicker than a NA BP. And when you get the funds & time, drop a NA BP in and just re route everything and have a SC'ed BP to make more people jealous.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

cheap, fast, reliable... pick two
              '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
              '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
              '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
              '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
              '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
              '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Working...
              X