Performance Camshafts for Turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Camshafts for Turbo?

Ok, I'm doing some research on camshafts... I'm gonna grind my BP camshafts, but I'm not sure what's good lift and duration without going over where I have to change the solid lifters to locked lash ajusters or inner shims. I have stiffer springs which have a 12mm max lift.

Here's what I've found...

Stock... Specs
    Intake: .319" lift and 196 duration @ .050"
    Exhaust: .338" lift and 202 duration @ .050"

Corksport... Specs
    Intake and Exhaust: .352" lift and 205 duration @ .050"

Toda... Specs
    Intake and Exhaust: .354" lift and 256/264/272/288/304 duration @ .050"

I was thinking .354" lift and 264 duration @ .050" would be good for street use. I'll be running my built up BP and turbo...

Anyone think otherwise?
    Last edited by Shades; 02-09-2006, 08:55 AM.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

If you go to crazy with the cam, you will need to swap in solid lifters and you won't idle for ****.

Comment

what my car is running for cam specs:
      Intake: .341" lift and 247 duration @ .003"
      Exhaust: .341" lift and 250 duration @ .003"

Advertised mind you.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Check that out.... He is gonna have a setup

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
        Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

If you go to crazy with the cam, you will need to swap in solid lifters and you won't idle for ****.
          Yeah I know... I am going solid lifters... but if I go too too crazy I'd have to move to inner shims (shim is under the lifter) or lock lash adjusters (where the lifter is one size and one size only).

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

These are GUDE (Bullfrog) camshafts... what do you think about those numbers?... since I'm gonna be running solid lifters, wouldn't I use the 00-UP cams?

90-96 MIATA 1.8L DOHC

PART NO: MCZS02
            DESCRIPTION: Strong pull from 4000 to redline
            POWER BAND 3800 RPM To 7200 RPM
            IDLE: Good
            SPECIFICATIONS: Intake LIFT - .360 DURATION - 228
            Exhaust LIFT - .360 DURATION - 228

00-UP MIATA 1.8L DOHC

PART NO: MCZS04
            DESCRIPTION: Strong pull from 4000 to redline
            POWER BAND 3000 RPM To 8000 RPM
            IDLE: Good
            SPECIFICATIONS: Intake LIFT - .420 DURATION - 231
            Exhaust LIFT - .420 DURATION - 228

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Model Product IN Spec. EX Spec. Specifications
              NA8C F-cam 252/9.2mm 256/9.5mm HLA Compatible
              NA8C / NB8C F-cam 252/10mm 256/10mm Require Maruha Solid Lifter
              NB8C VVT F-cam 252/10.8mm 256/10mm Require Maruha Solid Lifter

NA8C Race-cam 264/10mm 264/10mm Require Maruha Inner Shim Kit /
              NA8C Race-cam 272/10mm 272/10mm Require Maruha Inner Shim Kit /
              NA8C Race-cam 288/10mm 288/10mm Require Maruha Inner Shim Kit /

NB8C Race-cam 264/10mm 264/10mm Require Maruha Solid Lifter
              NB8C Race-cam 272/10mm 272/10mm Require Maruha Solid Lifter
              NB8C Race-cam 288/10mm 288/10mm Require Maruha Solid Lifter

NA8C Stock 233/8.6mm 250/8.1mm
              NB8C Stock 241/8.7mm 242/8.6mm
              NB8C VVT Stock 241/9.5mm 242/9mm

If this makes sense to you... these figures are from Maruha Performance.

I talked to a shop who specializes in this company, and they suggested the intake - 252/10mm exhaust - 256/10mm.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shades
                since I'm gonna be running solid lifters, wouldn't I use the 00-UP cams?
                No the 01+ Miatas use VVT... you'd have to engineer a way to incororate that into the system.

99/00 cams are non VVT and meant for solid lifters... those are the ones you want.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I keep forgetting about VVT... I'll have to call and ask if those are VVT cams or not.

I can't believe the price on cams (not reground)... they're more than I anticipated.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

The Master Speaks

Reference: Maimum Boost, by Corky Bell; Chapter 13, pages 163-64

CAMSHAFTS
                    "Make no mistake in the fact that turbo performance cams are very different from atmospheric performance cams.The characteristics of long duration and high overlap for atmo cams are unwelcome in a turbo system. The street turbo, which is generally small, operates with exhaust manifold pressure somewhat higher than intake boost pressure. This situation, when presented with long-duration, high overlap cams, creates a huge amount of reversion. Thus the "turbo cam" tends to become a low-duration, very limited overlap cam."

"RULE: It is hard to find a turbo cam that works better than the stock item."

"Is it necessary to change the cam?
                    No, decidedly not. Stock cams usually work excellently. For the absolute last word in a super-boost (15 psi) performance turbo car, a change of cam will be necessary, but so will several other things. Leave the stock cam alone and you will generally be much happier."

Happy Motoring!
                    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Good post goldstar!!!

I have Maximum Boost and are reading it... I just haven't gotten to that chapter yet.

I guess I'll try and see if my cams can be ground with more lift with the duration untouched or lessened a bit.

Thanks again!
                      Last edited by Shades; 02-14-2006, 09:24 AM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Glad to help.

Happy Motoring!
                        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

excellent post.. I was unaware of that... I really need to get a copy of that book... I have been meaning to for some time.
                          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                            No the 01+ Miatas use VVT... you'd have to engineer a way to incororate that into the system.

99/00 cams are non VVT and meant for solid lifters... those are the ones you want.

I was reading on one of the miata forums that the VVT was no good for boost. they where all complaining their cars ran like ass whent he VVT kicked
                            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

its mainly the overlap thats a concern with boost. note* BP 90-97 N/A has 19° stock while the Boosted BPT has 10° of valve overlap. extra duration is ok so long as your overlap isn't altered much. extra lift is always ok
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                              X