A very odd sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very odd sound.

The other day I started to remove my a/c since it will cost a buttload to fix. All I got out was the hardlines to the evaporator?? (radiator looking thing infront of the rad) and another hardline to the drivers side. I bent off oneof the pipes right at the compressor since its trashed anyway. So today, I am driving and while in boost and above 3k, my car makes this high pitched squeel sound, kinda like when bearings are about to go because its too fast for them or something. I really have no idea what it could be. I dont think its a blown turbo because there is no smoke in the exaust or anything and no change in power. Does it have to do wih the partial removal of the a/c? Help.

900 posts...
    BP-05 Turbo-Sold
    2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Somehow I don't think it's the AC unless you did something to the compressor and now the belt on it is making some unwanted noise. Is it only under boost that it makes the noise. The VJ20 is a pretty loud turbo for its size

Comment

It is only under boost. I know how the turbo normally sounds, and this is not what it has always done. Maybe its the belt or something??
      BP-05 Turbo-Sold
      2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

thats what Im thinking .... try by turning your AC on and off and see if it still makes the noise.

Is there anything else that's different? Boost pressure? Anything else?

Comment

take that belt off to see what happens. im willign to bet your jsut hearing the compressor going and once you remove the belt you will not hear it anymore. where the hardlines used to keep the noise with in the system.

NEUMAN

Comment

It is the same sound no matter what pressure. No change in how it drives or how the engine behaves at all. Just a new sound. I guess I will go buy that belt today then.
            BP-05 Turbo-Sold
            2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

it sound like your hearing the A/c pump bearings, and actually, you will ruin the pump by having the system open and the pump turning by the engine, it kills the bearings
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Well, its not like I really care about it anyway, I might try to sel it if its not that bad. I think the only thing left that is good would be the a/c pump so long as i dont fry it. I just gotta wait for some more warm weather to change the belts. Today I was out on the lake doing research all day and had no change to fiddle with it...
                BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Get a belt that's not AC... cause if your AC siezes you're gonna be in big poo poo my friend! POO!

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                  Member of MX-3.com
                  1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                  1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

So i replaced the belt for just p/s. Still in boost it makes that weird sqweek noise. God i hope its not my turbo. I didnt touch it but to take off the flange that bolts to the turbo outlet when I worked on it last weekend. Any ideas?
                    BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                    2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

I have been told it might be the shaft in the turbo or bent fins. This does not make much sense since it started doing this right after I took out the a/c stuff. Anyone have any more ideas??
                      BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                      2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Hmm, it could be those things - without actually hearing it its hard to say. Maybe the noises are a coincidence.

How loud of a whistle are we talking about here? My VJ20 makes quite a bit of noise on spoolup

Comment

I still think its the A/C compressor, You going to be In Baltimore anytime soon? like Lex said its hard to tell without hearing it.
                          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.

Comment

The compressor is gone. I took it out last weekend. I wont be back till summer, and I am more than likely living in OC for the summer. Yeah I can see that its hard to diagnose, but I was just wondering.
                            BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                            2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

ah, I C didn't see the part where you said you took it off

What part of OC?

are you going down for the hotrod week in june?
                              -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                              X