Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help, no power, hot EGTs. long post, sorry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you got a Boost Guage? Does the turbo Make boost at all?
    1987 Ford Laser TX3 4WD with BPT FWD LSD
    GT2876R, Turbosmart Ultragate, Weisco Forged Pistons, GTR Conrods, Race Flowed Head, HPC Tube Manifold, GTR Plenum, 550cc RX7 Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Infini LSD Diff, Straight Cut PAR 3rd Gear, FMIC, 4" Intake etc.
    320HP at 24psi Pump Fuel & 12.5 @ 122mph Street Tyres

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne
      not very well... it runs ok... I have a leaky BOV, so I've got a boost leak... but it runs like it'S expected to run in such a situation... huge improvement from before.. it actually has some go now! and the turbo don't get too hot anymore..
      What kind of BOV was it?

Comment

sorry guys. have been out of town on business the last 4 days.

I do have a boost gauge. I think I said this before, but the gauge shows normal boost behavior. was boosting up to 9 psi, exactly the way it should in the amount of time it should. vacuum was also showing normal, around 18 hg, that's what it's always showed me before when the car was normal, long time ago.

Denis, it was a turbo XS type H. the real one, not a cheap knock off, even though it's all the same... just a piston with a spring.. The spring got tired real fast on this thing, and I can't seem to find an adequate replacement spring. I've just received an SSQV. I trust it more against boost leaks because it's a pull type and not a push type... I'll be welding the adaptor to a piece of pipe shortly and installing it, then I should be in business again.

Comment

I never been a big fan of the turbo XS BOV's. Some people swear by them, but I don't like there design one bit. Seems like a half ass BOV design IMO.

Comment

agreed..... I got it a long time ago when I didn't know anything.... lol. I bought it based on price alone. Was still a lot better than what I used to get it going though... Probe OEM bypass valve...

anyhow, hopefully the SSQV will make a world of difference... I left it with a friend yesterday, he's jobless and knows a guy who welds aluminium, so he has plenty of time to ask his friend to weld the adaptor to a piece of pipe this week, I'll then pick it up on saturday and pop it in.

Geting back to the whole car issue, thinking back, it can only have been ignition timing... but what baffles me is that we tried turning it little by little to every possible configuration, and nothing ever worked before... At first we had it at exactly 11 degrees advance with a timing light, and it ran like ****. I'm curious to put the light back on the car to see what it gives right now...

We did time it with pins 10 and gnd jumped for "diagnostic mode".... i don't think we did anything wrong when we first timed it...

anyways... I'll be getting a little more work in next weekend, we'll see what I find.

Comment

Working...
            X