Turbo build or scrap it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo build or scrap it?

ok i have a turbo im not to sure what i want to do with it. I got this turbo from a freind, it was on his turbo ranger when he bought it. suposibly it was rebuilt, the turbo looks like it may be a ford SVO piece? the ranger really didnt run to good it had wirring issues and he ended up scraping it and i got the turbo. i took it apart a little today and heres what i noticed, first off there is no in and out shaft play, there is no oil any where on the cold side, there is very little side to side play (Check the video). also the other issue i noticed with the turbos is that the impeller has a little scraping on 3 of the blades, there was no marks on the inside of the housing just on the turbine. my question is should i just bolt it back together and it will be ok? rebuild it? or just scrap and look for something else? my final result i want to buy a turbonectis GTK series turbo but i wanted a larger t3 just for now til i can get the scratch for the gtk. this seems like it could be a decent size turbo for what i want to do. also there are 3 ports on the center section which goes where?

I also started to polish the outside of the housing, can i polish the inside to? or will it affect the tolerances? i figured a nice smooth surface would help with air flow

and heres the video its kinda hard to see the side to side because my camera was in my hand when i was trying to wiggle it. does this look ok? or does it need new bearings for sure?

hard to say, is there any damage to the compressor housing from fins scraping??
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

seems like a nice size turbo. at least from what the compressor housing says.

if you really want to run it, and you have second thoughs of its condition...get someone to check it out.

a sloppy turbo is sloppy

JACK.
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

there is no marks on the inside of the houseing, a few guys at turbomiata said it looked ok, i dont know who i would ask locally.....

Comment

If there's any doubts at all(especially when it comes to a turbo) have it checked out.
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

you could run it. a good amount of buffer comes from oil with some ball bearing turbos. if there are no signs of wear to the inside housing id say its ok for awhile.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

dont.... buy mine instead
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Working...
              X