New Turbo (need input)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Turbo (need input)

ok, im looking for a new turbo, I have a 95 MX-3 BPT swap on MSII hopefully running one of the group buy topmounts bonestock internals, i was on a GT28r running about 18psi but recently sold it. my goal is to get as close (hopefully to) 300whp on stock internals as I can. Im looking into Borgwarner turbos but im not sure what type of S200 i would need. But if I go garrett i was told to get a GT3076r but im not sure.
    i kind of want a Vband turbine housing ($50 more) and a anti-surge compressor (+$65)

GT3071R
    · Turbine Wheel: 60mm w/ 84 trim
    · Comp Wheel: 71mm w/ 56 trim
    · Comp Hsg: 0.50 A/R

GT3076R· Comp Wheel: 60mm w/ 84 trim
    · Turbine: 76.2mm w/ 56 trim
    · 500HP+ Capable

Turbine A/Rs for both are -> .63, .82, 1.06, .78(only in twinscroll), .48

input?
    For Racing Motorsports - Competition Use Only Performance Parts & Acc.

im not buying from frsport but they have garretts listed and variations.
    what do you guys think would be best? also what injectors do you think I'll need, i have GTX, 460, and 550's already, do you think i will need bigger?

95' mx-3 BPT GT28r

You couldn't get to 300 on that gt28r? That one that I just realized I'm the one who bought it? heh heh heh...If not, then 3071. I bet that bigger turbo would be laggy as hell, ballbearing or not. 550's should be enough to get 300whp, at least that's what I'm experiencing, but to open up either of those turbos I'd believe you'll need more fuel than that. I will say this: 300 to the ground on a stock bpt is asking for a block ventilation.
    And again. I am wondering why this turbo didn't get you where you wanted to go. I'd hazard a guess that the afm is too much of a flow restriction. I bet you're gonna need a map sensor and a standalone.
    Last edited by jay; 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

GT3071R
      · Turbine Wheel: 60mm w/ 84 trim
      · Comp Wheel: 71mm w/ 56 trim
      · Comp Hsg: 0.50 A/R

Id go with this one. With a .48 E-housing. The .48 housing will help with spool but won't be too restrictive on top end with the long runners of a topmount. The compressor is plenty big enough to reach 300whp.

Comment

The GT2871 should be capable of making 300whp. The next step would be the smallest GT30 you can get.

Comment

yeah i am on standalone and map sensor, thanks to lex
          im not sure what type of power i was making, mostly i just wanted a new manifold and the only way to afford one was to sell my turbo, so ive decided to go with a T3 manifold and just need a good turbo, and i was told i could probably make 300 safer with a bigger turbo and lower psi
          i was thinking 3071r too, but do you really think .48 turbine? i was thinking .63

95' mx-3 BPT GT28r

Comment

If your worried about lag, then yes, I would suggest a .48 housing. With the manifold you will be getting from me, a 3" downpipe, and 3" exhaust, you'll have no problem seeing 300whp. With that compressor, i'd say you'd need somewhere in the 17psi range and you'll see full boost by about 4k. Strictly speculation of course.

Also, if your going to try and push that kind of numbers on stock internals, you better think about putting together a water/meth kit. I think I still have the list that I put together for all the parts I bought for mine if you want it.
            Last edited by carkrazed2005; 04-20-2009, 10:59 PM.

Comment

GT3071R FTW! Well, out of those two anyways. And I don't know what you guys are talking about... 300 on stock internals is fine. Heck a guy ran 450whp as a DD on his B6 for 10,000 miles!!! As long as you have a good tune, it will last as long as it is suppose to... maybe 20,000miles??? I have been running like 250whp now for like 15,000 with an ok tune.... Still starts up every time!!

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
              Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Oh and for the record it was JWMotorsports on the MX-3.com forum. Someone should find the thread of when one of the rod bolts finally stress broke after 10,000miles... :D

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

carkrazed2005- if you have that list id like to see it, ive thought about water/meth, i have a friend running a snow performance kit on his jetta and he seems to be happy with it. my plans for the most part are just:
                  tial 44 (maybe overkill, but id rather just get it and never worry about it)
                  precision IC
                  tap the VC for a vented catch can
                  MSII
                  2.5" ic pipe? (im on 2.25, ive seen an article on HT about restrictive piping but i didnt do the equations, im just assuming 2.25 is probably restrictive on anything other than a stock turbo, maybe i need 3"?)
                  ETD fuel rail
                  aeromotive compact EFI regulator
                  rx7 550's
                  walbro 255

i want to get as much power as i can out of the motor, i can't afford to mess with internals right now, but if it blows up...it blows up, it won't be the end of the world. just to clear it up, it is a GTX motor...people seem to always ask

and bugs, i think that motor had GTR rods in it...but still stock internals i guess. but i could be completely wrong

95' mx-3 BPT GT28r

Comment

you might need bigger injectors

Comment

Originally posted by mx-3_4evr View Post
                      you might need bigger injectors
                      Why do you say that?

mazdax3speed,

I'll find that list and get it to you. 2.5" IC piping is plenty big enough. Your setup is going to be real close to mine.

Comment

550 on a GT30 turbo are kind of small for a safe tune on stock internals. Look at this build, he is aiming the same with a similar size turbo/stock internals and his running bigger injectors

Comment

Bigger injectors won't be needed until you are north of 300whp on a BP from my experience and builds/motors I have tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by mx-3_4evr View Post
                            550 on a GT30 turbo are kind of small for a safe tune on stock internals. Look at this build, he is aiming the same with a similar size turbo/stock internals and his running bigger injectors

http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=65894
                            Just because that dude's goals are the same and he's running bigger injectors, doesn't mean its necessary. 550's are plenty big enough for 300whp, not much more than that though. therieldeal is proof of that. I agree with you that he could build a little safer map with a bigger injectors, but the 550's will get him there just fine. He also has an afpr so he can get a little more out of them than 550cc.

Comment

Originally posted by mazdax3speed View Post
                              and bugs, i think that motor had GTR rods in it...but still stock internals i guess. but i could be completely wrong
                              GTR, GTX, N/A rods... just because the rods are beefier doesn't mean they went as far and making the bolts any better cause they didn't. I bet if you hardness and stress tested all the bolt you'll find they're all the same. The weakest link in a stock motor is always the rod bolts... if you were to keep the motor mostly stock, I'd just upgrade the rod bolts with some ARP's and call it a day.

The majority of thrown rods, in ANY motor, are due to rod bolts not being able to handle the zoom zoom.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                              Member of MX-3.com
                              1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                              1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Working...
                              X