WG prob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WG prob?

I am having some problems with my car on the dyno. it seems that the wastegate is leaking or not closed all the way when needed. not sure tho. it was on the dyno and would have huge lag and hit full boost waaay late. that was without my MBC hooked up. then when i hooked the MBC back up and turned up the boost it really dint affect it in any way. then when i had everything disconnected it would be fine? my dyno guy is tuning it for me and i think i get this done right.
    anyhelp would be greatly appreciated

also we will have everything apart once again to make sure the WG is operating correctly. but its sooo dam small and had to see!

my setup;
    GTX motor
    vj23 complete turbo w/GTR mani
    GTR intake mani
    GTR inj
    FMIC
    turboXS BOV
    turboXS MBC
    Megasquirt
    Anyone knows what 9K rpm feels like? I do

93 Mercury Tracer SW
    99 Honda Accord 4DR 'VIP' status
    01 Honda S2000 Future Boost

put pump on the wastegate, pump it up and see if it holds pressure... you could have a boost leak, or a torn wastegate diaphragm, along with other issues im sure.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

yes we put pressure and it works perfectly. we checked and no boost leak. im just curious to know if the WG work WOT?

93 Mercury Tracer SW

Comment

any one have any idea?? im thinkin its the WG causing the problems. and to solve this i might be considering a custom mani with an external WG. what you say??

93 Mercury Tracer SW

Comment

how much psi are you running?
          i had a problem with a t3 with a internal WG ,,it would not hold over 13 psi,i did a bunch of tests like you stated and tracked the problem down to the stock wastegate spring was just to weak, it just pushing the WG open when building boost.

what i did is added a helper spring to keep is shut, i make a few little brackets, then just went to the hardware store can grabed a tight spring a little smaller that i need, and its worked perfectly.
          the spring needs to have alot of tension on it.

now is this the right way to do, no ,external WG is the right way.
          this is for my winter car and dont want to go external,+ its a cheap fix and it has worked fine for 2 years now.

also there are options, tighter/stronger internal wastegates are avaliable.

a quick way to check if this if your problem is to lock down the wg rod somehow(keeping the WG shut), i did mine with a pair of locking pliers and took it for a quick run and see if it will build more boost, but be carefully and get out of the throttle to quit make boost.
          Last edited by ryan1; 11-05-2010, 11:19 AM.
          5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

man we are havin the same prob!^^ i need to try that because im soo close to getting rid of all this with a tubular mani, external WG, and call it a day with the vj23 and upgrade the turbo in the future.

93 Mercury Tracer SW

Comment

found out that my WG actuator is bad. it opens up a little bit around 7-8 PSI then it takes 30PSI to open it all the way!
              im wondering if i can use another WG? knowing that space is a problem

93 Mercury Tracer SW

Comment

Working...
              X