need help!! swapping a b6 to a bpt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help!! swapping a b6 to a bpt.

Ok. So I'm new to Mazda. But I'm alright with cars. I live in b.c. Canada and im 18. I have a 91 protege with a crappy sohc b6 engine. I found a bpt with the intercooler ecu turbo... Etc for 500 bucks.I wanna do the swap myself. Am I over my head? Is this a hard swap? How much should I save before doing this? Does someone have a step by step thread? Any help you guys got plz write it down. Thank you so much!

this link should help if u look at the top of the forums you will see a search option thats how i just found that link took only a minute easy way to find lots of anwsers

and welcome to Club protege

Comment

500? Nice score. Its really easy. Just spend a few min searching here and you'll find the answers. Just remember its not just "drop it right in and go". You'll need to replace a few parts, mainly hoses and regular maintainance crap. Also invest in a resent clutch.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Welcome fellow BC-er!

The swap itself is not tough. However, these cars and motors are getting up there in age and some maintenance is required. Things such as hoses gaskets, water pump, timing belt ... I would do all that before dropping the motor in. That's a good $500 in quality parts. Buy OEM parts when possible - they are the best quality.

Then you have to decide what you want to upgrade
        - Intercooler?
        - Exhaust (stock won't mate to the BPT downpipe)
        - You may need a new fuel pump
        - Radiator from a SOHC is very thin
        - Engine mounts
        - Clutch I would do right now or use the stock GTX (BPT one) if it's in good shape.
        - SOHC tranny is weak, I would look for a G series from a DOHC
        - Axles if CV joints are worn
        - Brakes
        - Tie rods
        - Suspension bushings etc

The list can get up there in terms of effort and money. The good news is that Mazda parts are quite cheap and easy to find. Do some research and make sure the engine you're buying is in good shape.

Gather all the parts you may need before you start and have a list of parts and a list of tasks ordered in the way you want them done.

Then depending on your technical ability and availability of parts set aside 2-3x the time you thought it would originally take you to do the swap.

Have fun and good luck!

Comment

side note .. your 91 pro should have a B8 SOHC the b6 was in the 323's unless it isnt original

Comment

Thanks guys! Keep it coming! So I just wanna know if the ecu is gonna be a problem too? My mechanic says it will give me trouble. Can it be plugged in straight? Cuz going from a non turbo to turbo is like changing Apple to oranges. Any tips?

Comment

And the engines from a wreck? What should I pull from the GTX to use. The cars not in bad condition. Thanks again.

Comment

Pull the engine with everything on it the wiring harness with the ecu, let us know what kind of ecu is running the engine.
                Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                "Who Dey"

Comment

We just did a b6 to GTX conversion and the wiring was easy to do. Car runs great too. We used the b6 sohc harness, and just added the 4th wire TPS and moved the pin at the ECU, and she fires up no problem with the GTX ECU.
                  -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                  X