• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
    I love this car...... just saying
    me too

Comment

Not much to update right now. I've got to get my 2nd radiator fan working and then check the alignment. I'm hoping to get to the dyno next Friday to recheck the cam gears. Then it's off to Nationals in Lincoln, NE.

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
        Then it's off to Nationals in Lincoln, NE.
        Will be nice to finally meet you. No co-driver then?
        2003 Protege5
        1990 Protege LX (sold)
        1990 Protege DX (sold)
        1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

Originally posted by cojsl View Post
          Will be nice to finally meet you. No co-driver then?
          He should be registering soon.

Comment

awesome!!! i love it!!!
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

How'd you end up doing Justin? I saw you were in 5th at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by concealer404 View Post
                How'd you end up doing Justin? I saw you were in 5th at one point.
                I'm still without decent internet service so I'm posting from my phone. I'll give a full write up when I get better service. I finished 3rd. I'm extremely happy about that and can't wait to show everyone the pictures and video.

Comment

My appologies for not updating in the last few months.

We had a great run at Nationals. We came home and ran a local event where we actually outran the FSP National Champion. It was a very fast course and suited my car's extra stability at speed over the Civic's acceleration. After that was the North Carolina State Championships. We didn't have much luck there. On my co-driver's second run we lost the #2 rod bearing. We attributed it to the extended high RPM's we turned that day and at the previous local event. We towed it home hoping the crank was still in good enough shape to slap a new bearing on it and run for Day 2, but it was borderline and I wanted to save what was left of the crank. The car sat for a few months while my bank account recooperated from all the vacations and I took some time to get the 323 wagon working again. Now that the wagon is operational it was time to get the Protege ready for the 2011 season.

The motor is now out of the car and we are really working on getting the bottom end more reliable and more efficient. This is the first step and the car will be operational no matter what else we modify before the sart of the season.

A simple project I started last week was to ditch the CAI setup I had in favor of a completely segregated cold air box with ducting from the front bumper. Here are a few pictures. Nothing much yet...just a cardboard mock up of the complicated end of the box. It's going to extend about 4" farther into the engine bay that what is completed in the pictures. It will be made out of a material called Polyshield that you can by at most home improvement warehouses.

Comment

Good luck with the engine repairs.
                    2003 Protege5
                    1990 Protege LX (sold)
                    1990 Protege DX (sold)
                    1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

Looks like fun... Hopefully I'll make it down to nationals one day.. I'd love a chance to check out the car up close..

Comment

Would it be possible for you to use the crank out of the B8. It is supposed to fit in the BP and have less counterweights therefore lighter weight. I am not sure if the regulations would allow that.
                        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                        |.....Overnight....................| ||
                        |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                        |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                        "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                        Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
                          Looks like fun... Hopefully I'll make it down to nationals one day.. I'd love a chance to check out the car up close..
                          You need to come down to Nationals. It is a ton of fun and you get to see some amazing stuff. Just study up on the rules and strategies of playing extremely competitive 4-square, find the Atlanta Region party tent, introduce yourself, and then spend the rest of your trip wondering why you haven't done this before. It seriously is a party with 1200 people...like a big music festival, but with cars instead of crappy bands.

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
                          Would it be possible for you to use the crank out of the B8. It is supposed to fit in the BP and have less counterweights therefore lighter weight. I am not sure if the regulations would allow that.
                          The motors have to be used as a whole, meaning no swapping of components from one to the other if it isn't already allowed. I did use the SOHC B6 crank in the DOHC B6 that I put in the BF wagon. It is considerably lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
                            You need to come down to Nationals. It is a ton of fun and you get to see some amazing stuff. Just study up on the rules and strategies of playing extremely competitive 4-square, find the Atlanta Region party tent, introduce yourself, and then spend the rest of your trip wondering why you haven't done this before. It seriously is a party with 1200 people...like a big music festival, but with cars instead of crappy bands.

Yeah I'll see who is going down there this year from up here.. maybe I can catch my self a tire warmer seat... My car is a long way and a lot of cash from being prepped to run in SMF...

Comment

I did a little more work on the air box today. I have two more pieces being shipped this week to put in it and then I can put a lid on it. All the rough outside corners will be covered up with aluminum foil tape which will make it basically "air tight" and pretty solid structurally. The air in it should be very insulated from the engine bay. The two parts I'm waiting on are the 2" flange ports that the ducting hoses from the front bumper will connect to. They will be mounted facing down on the bottom panel of the box directly below the black velocity stack. I'll install a baffle so that the incoming air will have to travel toward the fender and then back toward the intake. I'm not planning on running a filter and I figured the 180* change of direction in air flow would help prevent any major dirt particles from making it to the intake tubing. This thing is also super lightweight. I bet my old dry-flow air filter weighs more.

Comment

i would have to say, that would be extremely functional
                                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                                X