Final Autocross of the season fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Autocross of the season fun...

Well yesterday wrapped up another great season of autocross.... I had a blast.. The course lay out was very technical... I rarely get lost on course walks but it took me 3 times walking the course before I found my way... I had a friend codriving with me and got some good feed back on the car... Over the winter its clear I need to build up a new transmission and get an lsd installed... I also need to play with the cars set up to see if I can get the rear end a little looser... With the tight course lay out both my self and my codriver had a hard time getting the car to rotate and make the tight corners... We played a lot with tire pressures... Trying to loosen up the rear end... I normally run around 35psi front 32 rear... By the end of the day I was running 33psi front 48psi rear...

Ryans spherical bearings are holding up really well... The front end feels nice and tight... I just got word from Jim.. In the next week or so he'll be sending me something for the rear to compliment the work I have done on the front end... next season should shape up to be a lot of fun...

Here are some of my video's...
    first run of the day..

my really sloppy last run... all though I really like the video angle..

My aunt was visiting this weekend... She's never really seen me autocrossing so I just had to take her for a ride along... I think I scared her a bit as she had her eyes closed most of the run...

my fastest run of the day...

Last edited by crazycanadian; 10-10-2011, 08:31 PM.

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
    With the tight course lay out both my self and my codriver had a hard time getting the car to rotate and make the tight corners... We played a lot with tire pressures... Trying to loosen up the rear end... I normally run around 35psi front 32 rear... By the end of the day I was running 33psi front 48psi rear...
    What is your suspension setup/tire setup again? Running that much pressure in the rear should have had that thing spinning like a top.

Comment

goddman if that video doesn't make me want a KL I don't know what could. Sounds like sex. go pro? open back door or closed?
      -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
      VF10 powered!
      262 Whp & 257 Wtq
      13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
        What is your suspension setup/tire setup again? Running that much pressure in the rear should have had that thing spinning like a top.
        Larger rear sway bar, stock front bar... Corksport upper strut bars front and rear... Unknown used coil overs that came off a GTR with stock upper strut mounts... 205/55/14 unknown age toyo RA1's that had almost 0 use when I got them... spherical front control arm bearings...

alignment specs... Front
        Caster Left... 2.95
        Right... 2.90

Camber Left ... -2.80
        Right... -2.60

toe on both sides slightly out at 1/32

Rear camber ... Left -1.70
        ....Right -1.75

both sides toed out... 1/8"

Originally posted by Ace View Post
        goddman if that video doesn't make me want a KL I don't know what could. Sounds like sex. go pro? open back door or closed?
        Thanks Ace... I love the sound of the kl... I am not fancy enough for a Go pro... All videos are done with a cheap suction cup mount using a power shot A540 camera... The in car video was done stuck to the top of the pass side rear window with only the front windows open...

Comment

Seems like you should easily get the rear to come around with that setup. Are you using stock brake proportioning?
          sigpic
          1992 Familia GT-X
          1988 323 GTX
          2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Yeah I don't know why it wasn't tail happy with the high pressure.. The car has always had a tendacy to over steer when you lift off the throttle during transitions.. This didn't change at all with the higher pressures.. Even so the over steer is easy to control and correct..

The proportioning valve I am not sure about... The car has mx3 rear spindles and disc brake set up on it... Any input is welcome...

Comment

Ben my codrivers runs...

Me giving Ben some pointers after the run... at this point i had picked up almost 2 sec on him in scratch time..

Comment

What spring rates do you have?

Comment

Agreed. What has changed on the car since it was looser? Was it tail happy everywhere, or only in slaloms and not sweepers (or vice-versa)? Maybe double check your sway bar mounts and endlinks, and for binding in suspension movement.
                  2003 Protege5
                  1990 Protege LX (sold)
                  1990 Protege DX (sold)
                  1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

What spring rates do you have?
                    Unknown... The coil overs were a $60 lets try something new experiment... They were used when I bought them... I have a good feeling the rear is to soft... but I have no adjustments on the shocks that I can make..

Originally posted by cojsl View Post
                    Agreed. What has changed on the car since it was looser? Was it tail happy everywhere, or only in slaloms and not sweepers (or vice-versa)? Maybe double check your sway bar mounts and endlinks, and for binding in suspension movement.
                    The car has never been loose... Its always been either neutral or to much understeer... The front end pushed a lot more when I had tokico blues and h&r springs on it last year... this year with the coil overs the car was much more responsive and it helped the car to push less...

Comment

Not knowing the spring rates makes it near impossible to really "fix" anything. Is there any numbers on the springs at all? Sometimes you can figure out the rates from the part #s on the springs. I'm betting you might even be over-compensating with the swaybars to overcome problems with the springs. What tires are you running?

Comment

Not knowing the spring rates makes it near impossible to really "fix" anything. Is there any numbers on the springs at all? Sometimes you can figure out the rates from the part #s on the springs. I'm betting you might even be over-compensating with the swaybars to overcome problems with the springs. What tires are you running?
                        I never saw any number when I installed them in the spring... In the next month or so I am tearing the coil overs out and putting in stock stuff for winter so I'll have a closer look then... The rear sway bar was installed in the car when I bought it... I have never swapped it around, its the same bar that was in the car when I had H&R spings and tokico blues a couple seasons ago... The car pushed even more back then... It got better with the coil overs..

tires are toyo RA1's... 205/55/14's... they are old and were lightly used when I got them...

As money comes available everything is getting changed around on the car... this winter I am building a transmission for the car with lsd... I also have some new rear tubular control arms on the way... next winter I'll look at upgrading the coil overs and possibly some new tires..

Comment

Working...
                        X