Mobile 1 synthetic overview.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bpt323
    by lucas.... i meant the additive for mineral oil.... (100% petroleum)
    Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I went to the Lucas website and realized you were referring to the Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer Supplement . Looking at the Product Specification Sheet, three main benefits are listed:
    1. It eliminates dry starts and wear.
    2. It extends oil life and lowers oil temperature.
    3. it changes the lubricity of oils and makes them slicker.

To begin with, all of these benefits and more are present in a fully synthetic oil to a greater degree than is possible to obtain from any 100% petroleum-based product. In reference to your question about adding the Lucas supplement to a mineral-based oil, I fail to see the advantage. Assuming that you are using a high-quality mineral oil, the expectation is that it's functioning as well as any petroleum-based oil is capable of doing. Therefore, how could any 100% petroleum-based additive, such as the Lucas, produce any improvement? Why wouldn't your main oil also contain these "improvements" that are claimed by Lucas? I don't think any manufacturer of a high quality mineral oil deliberately makes an inferior product in the belief that the user will then go out and buy an oil additive to give his product the superior performance it should have had to begin with. Also, as stated earlier, the Lucas will have its own additive package that may have some incompatibility with the additive package in your main oil.

IMO, using the Lucas oil additive is a bad idea and a waste of money.

02 DX Millenium Red
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I saw a Mobil1 race oil (0W-40 or 30 cant remember) the other day in the auto parts store..... Would that be wise to use in a gtx motor?

I live in TX, so its not like we get alot of cold here..... Feb might hold some colder days for us, but nothing like what is seen up north.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I looked up Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 oil on their website. Assuming it's more expensive than their regular synthetic oil, it might be overkill to use it. All I know about it is what they list on their site.

Mobil states that "Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is a different formula than Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-30." Since they claim that its high-temperature protection extends up to 400 deg F (204 deg C), I'm guessing that it contains a higher proportion of ester-based stock than their regular synthetics. They go on to say:
        "Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is intended for professional, amateur "weekend" race cars, as well as modern, high-output engines of all kinds. It is ideal for supercharged, turbocharged and high-revving, high-performance engines used in street applications."

IMO, it seems to me to be a bit more than we'd need in most daily driver Protege engines although it might be of use to those of you building high-boost or otherwise very highly stressed engines.

02 DX Millenium Red
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Its weird b/c it was the same price as the regular full synthetic.... Since it is for boosted motors, and mines gonna see some stress (cant baby it all the time ) then that looks like the choice for me. Thx.

Comment

SO dont use gtx no more because I dont have one im goin to go with Mobil 1 10W-30 SuperSyn multi-vehicle formula, what about a good filter which one should be good...
            Ratrod

Comment

**** what about raditor fluild what kind should i use for that im changin that out too... lolol.... im gettin ready for the car showin myrtle beach... i cant wait... OOOOO ya is there anything else I should check on the motor that would be good to change??? I just got new plugs and wires... so im good on that....
              Ratrod

Comment

plugs, wires, cap, rotor, battery terminals (clean if corroded or anything), air filter if you dont have a cone, fuel filter.... small crap like that is good to do if you havent done it in along time and you want to do a basic tune-up.... small stuff adds up fast tho so be ready to lay down 100 bux or more for that shiat I listed above.

As far as filters for oil, heres a good link: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Stay away from Fram...I seem to remember that they used carboard or something ghey, and they suxors and many ppl think the opposite b/c they have been around forever.

Wix, Mobil1 IMO are good filters to go with.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                  Stay away from Fram...I seem to remember that they used carboard or something ghey, and they suxors and many ppl think the opposite b/c they have been around forever.

I've been using Fram oil filters for some time now.
                  Got any proof that Fram is worse than the other brands?
                  ED
                  '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                  Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                  WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

I've been using the OEM filters. At my last oil change, however, I switched to the Mazda 626 V6 filter. Identical specs as the OEM but ~ 20% larger in volume.

02 DX Millenium Red
                    Last edited by goldstar; 01-27-2005, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loganss
                      I've been using Fram oil filters for some time now.
                      Got any proof that Fram is worse than the other brands?
                      That website I linked too has all the info.... aparently fram is not a "bad filter persay, but it is not a top preformer.... while "good" filters use a metal endcap, the fram one uses carboard.... that and the inside area is smaller than the others. So no its not a bad filter (I used to use them all the time for the grip) but if you want the best filter then I would not advise you to use fram.

Comment

festiva one!!!! thats bigger
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

seems like a lot of having goldstar look up websites so we don't have to. Can I join in?

As always goldstar, your advice is helpful.

I have been using Mobil1 for a while, and I use the protege Mobil 1 filter.
                          My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                          JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                          AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Well im goin to do that....
                            Ratrod

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                              plugs, wires, cap, rotor, battery terminals (clean if corroded or anything), air filter if you dont have a cone, fuel filter.... small crap like that is good to do if you havent done it in along time and you want to do a basic tune-up.... small stuff adds up fast tho so be ready to lay down 100 bux or more for that shiat I listed above.

As far as filters for oil, heres a good link: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Well i did about everything to told me too... I changed out sparksplugs, wires, CHANGED oil, Fluish the Radior, CHanged the rotor withe distributor and bought a new pvc value and CHANGED OUT the FUEL FILTER that was a bitch to do but It all went well...
                              Ratrod

Comment

Good job! How's your car running now? Did you notice a difference before and after the work?

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

Working...
                                X