HID Conversions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 93BlkOnGreenPro View Post
    But the jdm's arn't suitable for hid, right?
    correct. neither are the edms for BGs.
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post

As so far as the legality point of view, I have asked about them with local PD as well as state troopers, and thet told me that as long as they are setup properly, and aimed at the ground and not at on-comming drivers, they are perfectly legal.
      Well, they're wrong. HID 'conversions' don't meet FMVSS 108, have never, and will never be. Technnically neither do non-DOT housings, but more and more are being approved due to the superior Euro light spread pattern and hard cutoffs, they aren't really any better at corralling light that emits outside the geometry engineeried into the housings. I can think of a few E code lights that are also DOT approved, the Lotus Elise and a few others, although its usually limited to low-volume cars.

Although its in English English, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Comment

As I respect your outlooks in all this, I have to be honest. I could careless if they actually meet whomevers standards. They arent hurting anything, they help me see better, and I personally like the way they look, so thats really all I care about. So whats crawled up your ass anyway? Your taking this pretty far dont ya think?
        Mazda
        1988 Black 323 GT
        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Dj is correct

Just because some cops said they were ok with it or even if they used the words "yes it is legal" doesn't make it so. The laws on the books are what make something legal or not. HID conversion kits are not.
          Last edited by Silentbob343; 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM.
          2005 Mazda 3

Comment

I never said he was wrong. All Im saying is, So far, no one cares around here, So they work fine for me.

As so far as the youtube video is concerned, it is describing the problem of HIDs in OEM headlights not designed for HID's. The system I bought with the Euro style headlights are mated to work like they should. Ive personally been outside my car at many angles to see if there is any glare. There was nothing different from them as from regular halogen In the EURO style headlights/housing I used.

EDIT: After some investigation, I now understand your concern, and appreciat it DJ. Ile look into this further to see if my setup is infact truely legal.

Thanks.
            Last edited by FamiliaGT; 05-01-2008, 02:17 AM.
            Mazda
            1988 Black 323 GT
            DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

One of the guys over on mazda626.net posted this link if anyone ever decided to do projectors, so check this out:
              Europas großes Sportwagen Forum - Die Community für Sportwagen-Eigentümer und Fans von Corvette, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche und Co.

14.500@95.68 mph naturally aspirated
              '94 Protege LX 5 speed "grooved" 34mpg average

Comment

Well, I took the time to head over to my local friendly PD. I asked a LEO if the lights where legal, explainging my setup etc. Turned them on and let him examine them. He checked all the points, as well as beam and positioning, and as we talked about it mentioned that, the way they are set up, is fine. He would see no reason to pull me over with it like this. The color is about 99% white, with a tint of blue, they are positioned at the ground, not in the eyes of oncomming traffic, and function like halogens.

One thing to double check, and to be sure of would be the area in which they are used, as many towns ordinences(SP?) may be different from others as so far as lights. But the LEO I spoke to was way cool about it. Makes me feel better since I really like them, they really help me see (They are more for work then show), and I dont really feel like using the old halogens.
                Mazda
                1988 Black 323 GT
                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

So, while federally illegal, the locals are willing to overlook that because in a personal experience it was deemed within limits. Hopefully all cops are as nice as Leo
                  No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Oh Craig, you deprived innocent soul.... I think (Cough)
                    LEO = Law Enforcment Officer. ...leo, lol

But I believe the reason they are illigal is if they are put into Stock EOM Sockets that arent made for them, hense the problem with the beam pattern. But like i said before, the beam pattern on my car is strieght and clean, which is why I think they dont care much about it.
                    Mazda
                    1988 Black 323 GT
                    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

I'll still pretend you know a LEO downtown lol.

well you've got clear lenses, with none of that scattering pattern cut into it. So that puts all the beam pattern upon the HID bulb, like its supposed to be. BTW, I'll see you on the 16-18th. cash in on my spirited drive

Comment

Working...
                      X