It is possible this can happen???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by compnerdansel
    Okay, first of all, no need to act like emotional 16 year olds with macho complex's here. "Ya dumbass" is sort of my catch phrase, I'll say it straight to my supervisors at work ;-) , no need to get all defensive about it, and I apoligize for any toes that were stepped on. Now that we've established were all adults here, lets do some math.

D323: At 3000 engine rpm's, since the tranny reduces gear ratios, for the F-tranny's first gear we DIVIDE by 3.416 giving us ~878 rpm for the output shaft on the tranny. However the G-tranny at 3000 rpm with a 3.3 first gear gives us ~909 rpm on the output shaft. Therefore, at 3000 engine rpm, the output shaft is turning ~31 rpm slower on the F-tranny than the G. This is how a HIGHER gear ratio produces LOWER overall gearing, and with lower overall gearing, you have a lower top speed in that gear, but stronger acceleration getting there.

95ProLeila: A difference of 0.02 between the 3rd gears of the F and G tranny may not sound like much, but at a 6500 rpm redline,
    6500 / 1.29 ~ 5038 rpm
    6500 / 1.31 ~ 4961 rpm
    Now we put these through the final drive ratio's: F=3.619 and G=4.105 and we get the actual rpm of the wheels.
    5038 / 3.619 ~ 1392
    4961 / 4.105 ~ 1208
    As you can see, the F-tranny wheels spin 184 more times every minute than the G-tranny. Now with a factory tire/wheel combo at 22.5 in diamater, 22.5 x Pi = 70.6 inch circumference. I wont bore you with the conversion math, but that 184 rpm difference at 70.6 inches each revolution translates into the F-tranny in third gear going 12.3 mph faster at redline than the G-tranny.

elscotto80: Exactly ;-)

MD323: A BP powered 323? I would fully expect you to take a G1 LX Pro. Do I really need to get into power to weight ratios with you? (Again, lots more math)

I hope none of you ever said, "When am I ever gonna use this in real life?" in algebra class. lol

Hope this clears things up,
    Ansel '94 LX, '92 DX
    So you're allowed to say "ya dumbass" and it isn't being immature then?
    Additionally, 12.3 mph still isn't "considerably higher" if it were 30 or 40 mph, then that would be something.

Comment

use your inside voices people!!!

be respectful

Comment

We are arguing semantics. When you said lower, I and most others read that as though you were referring to the ratio of the gear.

"lower overall gear" is what you should have said in the first place. Using that makes what you intially said correct. When you say "the first and second gears of the DX's F-tranny are much lower than the G-tranny of the LX's," most people will assume you are referring to the gear ratio.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

The stock clutch is fine for the power that the SOHC makes. I have 200K km's on my original clutch and this car has been done at least 100 runs down strip + 5 lapping days. It wont bark the 1-2 shift anymore and chatters a bit, but hey, what do you expect for this much mileage? hehe

Originally posted by Protege Driver
          What type of clutch kit are good for this car??
          1993 Mazda Protege DX - 16.7 @ 84 mph (200K km's and still kicking)
          1994 Camaro Z28 - 12.5 @ 115 mph
          My cardomain site

Comment

Its a DX, are very slow.

The Kia Sephia LS 1996 has the BP 1.8 DOHC, so dont fool yourself just cause of the brand.

DX are slow, slow slow. Investing money on them is throwing away money. Just invest in a good BP block and will be easy with a few mods in the 15,s and with a KLZE in the 14 and 13 depending on the toys and weight on car.

Comment

SOHC=do not mod...

And I quote: "SOHC... she be slow, but she gets me where I need to go. Modding an SOHC seems pointless to me..."
              1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
              1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
              2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
              2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

I agree with that statement. SOHC are slow.. but they are workhorses and will not let you down

Originally posted by XxToKeSxX
                SOHC=do not mod...

And I quote: "SOHC... she be slow, but she gets me where I need to go. Modding an SOHC seems pointless to me..."
                1993 Mazda Protege DX - 16.7 @ 84 mph (200K km's and still kicking)
                1994 Camaro Z28 - 12.5 @ 115 mph
                My cardomain site

Comment

Get a BP05 and kill em all
                  Serenity's Dead.

Comment

dont bash the BP01(b8 if you will) when i had my old 323 lx with that in it id destroyed an 91 integra gs there a stong engine and maybe a little low on the hp but will still teach most ricers a lesson or to (definatly if its in a 323) but iv moved onward to the bp05 and its a great platform to start with ....
                    GRIPtoLIVE........................................ .........
                    NA6C new track slut-NB8C waiting on parts
                    94 E36- RB20 swap -sold
                    93 323 budget track slut RIP
                    FEARLESS MOTORING..........................................

Comment

Okay, yes, now that we are all working with the same nomenclature, everybody's happy. YA DUMBASSES!! lol And yes the SOHC engine is by far no race engine, but it puts out just as much torque as the DOHC, and I have spanked more than my fair share of civic's with it in my day. ;-) I could even take down lancers (not evo's) every time, even though they are supposed to have 130 hp and 140 ft-lbs of torque. (someone correct me if those numbers arent correct) Like I said earlier, id even take on faster cars, like integ GSR's, or celica GT-S's. I just never went beyond second, when I ran out of low gearing ;-)

Ansel '94 LX, '92 DX
                      sigpic Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Comment

wht is it somthing i said
                        GRIPtoLIVE........................................ .........
                        NA6C new track slut-NB8C waiting on parts
                        94 E36- RB20 swap -sold
                        93 323 budget track slut RIP
                        FEARLESS MOTORING..........................................

Comment

Working...
                        X