No announcement yet.

proxes vs azenis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, I have experience on both tires but not for autox only for drag. I'd say azenis is good and sticky but heavy and the toyo w/ properly inflated pressure are not good for racing but flatten it then its like stickier than the azenis and lighter. ONLY WHEN DRAG RACING.

Comment

the reason i asked, was because i had the azenis on my car for racing on a road course...

and by the 4th lap, i dunno if it was me or the tires... but they seemed to break loose way easier than when i was on my 2-3 lap

i dont know if i was overdriving, or if the tires werent that well when they get really hot

i was just hoping someone else could let me know (who has first hand experience cause they've raced with a set) and let me know whether or not it was me getting excited trying to go TOO fast, or if it was infact the tires

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
        the reason i asked, was because i had the azenis on my car for racing on a road course...

and by the 4th lap, i dunno if it was me or the tires... but they seemed to break loose way easier than when i was on my 2-3 lap

i dont know if i was overdriving, or if the tires werent that well when they get really hot

i was just hoping someone else could let me know (who has first hand experience cause they've raced with a set) and let me know whether or not it was me getting excited trying to go TOO fast, or if it was infact the tires
        its probably your going too fast cuz the azenis dont get stickier or breaks loose when its hot or warmed up...it stays the same.

Comment

actually, over ~125-135 degrees, they fall over quite a bit. They get greasy. If they're new, the tread squirm will happen quicker, and you'll overheat them quicker, so they get more consisten as they wear down.

for actual track driving, you may want to try the Kumho MX next time if you want a street tire. If you're willing to goto an R compound, post back and we can talk about them.
          "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
          -93 MR2, 129 ES
          ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
          Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
            actually, over ~125-135 degrees, they fall over quite a bit. They get greasy. If they're new, the tread squirm will happen quicker, and you'll overheat them quicker, so they get more consisten as they wear down.

for actual track driving, you may want to try the Kumho MX next time if you want a street tire. If you're willing to goto an R compound, post back and we can talk about them.

alright, i read somewhere that they did get "greasy" at high temperatures.... but each heat only consisted of 4 laps, half being a warm up and half being a cool down... so really it's only 3 timed laps... so i figured that I didnt have to worry about overheating them

but i did definately experience them getting greasy on my last timed laps, of my last 2 heats

i am not looking for R compound tires just yet, im only going to be running in half of the events in the season of 2005, and those will be run in the azenis... they are pretty new still

the reason im only running in half of the events next year, is the car will be getting the BP engine put in, and it has a few other problems that i need to fix... i'll need a few months to gather the money, and actually do the work

so it wont be in any shape to race till about june of 2005

the season AFTER that, i will be upgrading to lighter wheels, and R compound tires.

however, i would still like to hear what you have to say about them...

there is so much info. that the other racers have about tires, the top 3 picks of the R compound tho are the toyo, Hoosier, and Yoks...

yokohama was the sponsor tho so that might have swayed people a bit...

Comment

well, depends on your needs.

in terms of outright SPEED around a track, the order of the 3 you listed goes Hoosier, Toyo, Yoko.

The toyo and yoko are the 2 slowest of the normal R compounds you'll see. The hoosier is the fastest. The various kumho compounds are in between, and the avon seems to be somewhere in the middle also, but its still new and hasn't been proven just yet. The kumho V710 is right up with the Hoosier, if not better on some cars. (usually high power)
              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Avon are starting to look good.

Cooper Tire use one of our member’s car for testing of the Avons here in TX , and received some tire for the car. One other member is trying them now ( the FM supercharged Miata), and both of them like them very much. Might be a three-way race Hoosier, V710 and Avon.
                Randy
                Sand Mica
                2002.5 ES A/T
                Texas Spokes Sports Car Club
                HS 26

Comment

Eh... enough people tried the Avons this year to basically throw it out of the equation for the TOP tire.
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Working...
                  X