No announcement yet.

what tires for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a daily driver in Washington, i'd go with the Kumho 712's, good wet traction.

for me here in CA, Azenis are a no brainer. although if i could just afford to run the Kumho V710's on a daily basis, i'd be one happy mofo....hahahaha

Comment

I love my Bridgestone Potenza RE-730s on my stock 15" rims, and the 17" I have now has the RE750s. They are a great balance between treadwear and performance, and they have excellent wet traction. Very quiet, too. Quite grippy, but still last a while.
      My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
      JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
      AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

I would forget the kumho 712s and get the 711s. Similar dry traction, better wet tractoin, and MUCH cheaper.

And Azenis will last a year a good 15k+ miles, so if that's a year to you, then go for it.
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Also remember... rain = ruts, 40 series tires = no shock resistance for the wheels. I hope your wheels are going to be strong as hell, otherwise your wheels are going to get torn up.

711s are also pretty cool and I was about to make some asinine comment about them being "only" H rated, but then I realized that they are going on a Pro, not a Porsche. Go with the 711s... Cheap and durable.

Comment

Not to put too fine a point on it when in fact there may be no practical disadvantage in going with an H-rated tire, but a number of sources warn against downgrading from the OEM speed rating. Both www.discounttiredirect.com and www.1010tires.com/tiretech.asp recommend not downgrading to a lower speed rating than that of the OEM tires. Doing so can result in poor handling and unpredictable steering, particularly in emergency situations.

Two different tires, identical in all but their speed ratings, in fact have different constuctions. Speed ratings are dependent, among other factors, on the belt structure that is designed to resist and control deformation responsible for heat buildup. This same belt structure that permits higher speeds also results in a stonger, better handling tire. Consequently, all else being equal, tires rated V and above are inherently stronger and better handling than those rated H and below even if you will never run at the speeds the tires are capable of safely withstanding.

Happy Motoring!
            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

goldstar strikes again! Very good points. I went up to Z-rated tires.
              My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
              JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
              AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

Comment

i think ill just get the rims and take them to les schwab and see what they can give me.... this tire thing is way more in depth then i ever thought it would be
                91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
                Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
                  Not to put too fine a point on it when in fact there may be no practical disadvantage in going with an H-rated tire, but a number of sources warn against downgrading from the OEM speed rating. Both www.discounttiredirect.com and www.1010tires.com/tiretech.asp recommend not downgrading to a lower speed rating than that of the OEM tires. Doing so can result in poor handling and unpredictable steering, particularly in emergency situations.

Two different tires, identical in all but their speed ratings, in fact have different constuctions. Speed ratings are dependent, among other factors, on the belt structure that is designed to resist and control deformation responsible for heat buildup. This same belt structure that permits higher speeds also results in a stonger, better handling tire. Consequently, all else being equal, tires rated V and above are inherently stronger and better handling than those rated H and below even if you will never run at the speeds the tires are capable of safely withstanding.

Happy Motoring!
                  Yes, however, when will you find two otherwise identical tires with just different speed ratings outside of the Kumho 712?

Case in point, the Falken Azenis Sport RT-215 is an H-rated tire, and handles better than all but about 5 other models of tires available to the United States. There are PLENTY of ****ty tires that are rated very highly on a speed rating test. Also note that the testing procedure for speed testing is a long term heat test, IIRC, an hour duration. So you cannot go more than 130 on H rated tires for an Hour.... Hmm, sounds pretty useless to me.

Don't look at speed ratings for performance, unless they are identical model tires.

Also, PLEASE STOP STATING COMPANIES INSTEAD OF MODELS OF TIRES!
                  "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES
                  ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                  Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                    Yes, however, when will you find two otherwise identical tires with just different speed ratings outside of the Kumho 712?

Don't look at speed ratings for performance, unless they are identical model tires.

Also, PLEASE STOP STATING COMPANIES INSTEAD OF MODELS OF TIRES!
                    For example:
                    Yokohama Avid H4s/V4s

Michelin Pilot: XGT H4; XGT V4; XGT Z4

Dunlop Sport 5000: H; V; Z

Bridgestone Potenza RE 92: T; S; H; V

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position: W; Y

Bridgestone Potenza RE950: H; V; W

Happy Motoring!
                    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

S03's are badass, the RE92's are rocks though.

Comment

What is your point in getting new tires: do you want the stickiest you can get? do you want good ride quality? do you want long lasting tires? If you said this, and I missed it, sorry.

Comment

check out the first post...im looking to buy a set of rota slipstreams with tires (new) and i found a site that offers the combo at a good price but they are limited as to the kinds of tires they offer with the combo (see first post for list). im looking to get at LEAST a year of driving yout of them i.e. more then 15k miles. that is the only requirment...and also remember that it rains almost every day in the winter here....so they need to be good all season tires....since we dont get much if any snow here i dont have to swap them out for winter wheels...
                          91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.