SS brake lines and safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS brake lines and safety

Well, I just finished an installation of Goodridge SS lines in my car and did a little bit of reading.

I have read that SS lines are more prone to damage and failure than OEM rubber lines. I want to know what the opinions of people running these lines for years are.

Are these lines a safety concern? Do they have to be changed every few years?

Any comments and technical discussions are welcome - we all know brakes are very important.

I had the impression you were supossed to cover the ssb lines so rocks dont penetrate them. With like a clear plastic or rubber.

Comment

the myths are all out there, I've had one SS blow out. which is led to believe happened by the line rubbing on the wheel. other then that, SS teflon is very durable, i've had mine for years now including the clutch line.
      honestly teflon is durable & its wall thickness is pretty thick it would take severe abuse to the lines to cause a rupture. which is not really possible IMHO unless you purposely attempt to damage them. If for some reason the braid fails then damage could occur, but SS is strong for christ sake alot more durable then rubber.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
        the myths are all out there, I've had one SS blow out. which is led to believe happened by the line rubbing on the wheel. other then that, SS teflon is very durable, i've had mine for years now including the clutch line.
        honestly teflon is durable & its wall thickness is pretty thick it would take severe abuse to the lines to cause a rupture. which is not really possible IMHO unless you purposely attempt to damage them. If for some reason the braid fails then damage could occur, but SS is strong for christ sake alot more durable then rubber.
        How'd you manage to rub it on a wheel and did it let go all of a sudden? Front I assume.

Comment

i had that happen to me when I was installing the technafit lines. since it does not have the guide pin, you have to adjust it by yourself accordingly. I was able correct that the moment I heard the rub.

Comment

i was running 14" wheels (barely any gap for the lines) & yes it kinda gave out suddenly. I was able to limp it back home & such.

its nothignt o relaly worry about. honestly. try the lines you'll enjoy them
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I did put them on and the brake feel is much improved!

Comment

wOOt!

Comment

back when i was a 4X4 guy, SS steel braded lines were the only option when lifting the suspension. never had coated lines on my S-10 and I drove thru mud for fun. 2 years no broken lines. I think the broken lines from "dirt" are probably from some kids who bought 3rd world ebay lines.
                  "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                  -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                  *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                  172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                  New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Working...
                  X