Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Gauges: What's Your Choice?

Accu-Gage Dial Gauges

Made by G. H. Meiser & Co, this is the gauge I'm currently using.
    http://www.ghmeiser.com

Under the name Accu-Gauge, Meiser makes a wide variety of tire pressure gauges including dial, digital and pencil types. The dial gauges are available in a number of styles as can be seen from a perusal of their website. The one I purchased is the RS60XA; it reads to 60 PSI, has a swivel angle chuck, a pressure hold/bleed valve and a rubber gauge guard. The swivel angle chuck makes it particularly easy to apply to the tire valve regardless of its position with respect to the ground. I don't remember where I originally purchased my gauge (mail order) but it's available from the following vendor:
    http://www.getagauge.com
    The current cost is:
    Gauge: US $11.50
    Rubber guard: $3.00
    S&H: 4.95
    Total: $19.45

The gauge has a steel case with a polished brass bezel and a 2" dial. Dual range scales with PSI and kPa or kg/cm squared are also available. According to the manufacturer, their dial gauges "have a full geared, solid brass precision movement with bronze Bourdon tube. Unlike piston-plunger-type gauges, the Bourdon tube movement is not affected by changes in temperature, humidity or altitude."

For those of you who might be a little rusty on the operating principal, a Bourdon tube is a C-shaped, curved or twisted tube that is open at one end and sealed at the other. The open end of the tube is fixed in position, and the sealed end is free to move. The tube is more or less elliptical in cross-section and does not form a true circle. The tube becomes more circular when there is an increase in the volume or the internal pressure of the contained fluid. The spring action of the tube metal opposes this action and tends to coil the tube. Since the open end of the Bourdon tube is rigidly fastened, the sealed end moves as the pressure of the contained fluid changes. The free end of the tube is connected to the indicating mechanism by a linkage assembly. When pressure enters the Bourdon tube, the tube movement is translated to an indicating pointer through the linkage. In the case of the Accu-Gage, a precision brass gear-driven linkage is employed.

Happy Motoring!

The first photo is a diagram of a typical Bourdon tube.
    The second photo is of my RS60XA gauge.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goldstar; 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

I had one of those cheap pencil gauges where the white stick pops out under pressure. Its simplicity means it'll work in most any conditions and without batteries. I'm interested in a digital gauge or something a bit easier to read as deciphering the hash marks upside down or in the dark can be tricky. does the gauge above or glow or feature a lighted option? any suggestions or experience on one with a replaceable battery? thanks

Comment

No, the Accu-Gage listed above does not glow in the dark nor does it have a lighting option. I haven't used a digital gauge or one that uses batteries so I can't help you out there.

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
      X