Post-discontinuation recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-discontinuation recommendations

My go-to all purpose tire, Kumho's Ecsta LX Platinum, has been dropped in my size. Where else should I look? I need something with reasonable grip and long life in a 185/60/14.

Thanks.
    Last edited by me109; 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM. Reason: Fixed punctuation.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

still my goto all around tire: http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/ti...=ze912hp_t.cst

life is shorter in winter, I recommend using 45psi if your comfortable with such things (max safe for the tire is 51psi) for longer highway life and air down for more grip
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I'll second the recommendation of the Ziex 912. I've had five or six sets of them on various cars and have always been happy with them. They're also what I currently have on my DD wheels on the Protege.

They're cheap from DiscountTireDirect.com or Vulcan Tire.
      '94 Protegé DX

Comment

When it's too cold for my summer-only Yokos, I switch to Falken Ziex ZE-912s. They are an excellent UHPAS tire and my wife uses them all year round on her 3. You can read my review of these tires at:

I highly recommend them as an all-season choice.

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I didn't expect unanimity. I'll have to check out the 912s.

Are there any somewhat durable summer only tires that might fit the bill? I do have a snow set already.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Comment

I recommend 912's as well. I used to have them on my P5 (different size, of course) and they performed very well for what they are.
            Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
              Are there any somewhat durable summer only tires that might fit the bill? I do have a snow set already.
              I was going to recommend the summer-only tires that I use, Yokohama S.drive, since with a UTQG rating of 300/AA/A they are relatively long-lasting for a performance tire. However, I note that they are only available in 185/55-14 size so not suitable for your car. Since I haven't had current personal experience with any other summer-only tire I can't make a valid suggestion. Sorry.

Happy Motoring!
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

912's are a great tire! And have an awesome price to boot too.
                -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                VF10 powered!
                262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
                  I was going to recommend the summer-only tires that I use, Yokohama S.drive, since with a UTQG rating of 300/AA/A they are relatively long-lasting for a performance tire. However, I note that they are only available in 185/55-14 size so not suitable for your car. Since I haven't had current personal experience with any other summer-only tire I can't make a valid suggestion. Sorry.

Happy Motoring!
                  What a strange size. I've never seen a <60 profile 14 before.

Looks like there isn't really a choice here. Everybody seems to love the ZE-912. I'll see if I can find some tomorrow.
                  1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                  ├┼┤
                  2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
                    I didn't expect unanimity. I'll have to check out the 912s.

For summer-only use, I run the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. I've used them for trips to Tail of the Dragon, track days and autocross and have always been impressed. I believe you can get them as 14s.
                    '94 Protegé DX

Comment

My local place tells me that the 912 is no longer available in my size. Their supplier only has three remaining. The're good people, and I really want to keep doing business with them, but I may have to buy online.

They can get me a Falken SN211, but I really don't want it.
                      1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Comment

General Altimax HP summer, Altimax Arctic winter
                        There are other Altimax but I don't know anything about those.
                        Couple years ago the Arctics were top rated winter tire, near tied with twice as much Michelin.
                        Made by Continental, and I think you get Conti technology for half price.
                        My HP are on 6" really good wheels and require zero balance weights, up to well over three figures. Looks like they will still be legal at 50,000 miles, about 25,000 now. Biggest problem is I know by the time I wear these out they will discontinue them.
                        I push it hard on twisty roads, to the point of all four sliding and it is perfectly controllable; and I've had other decent drivers agree in my car. You can get 185 or 195/60/14. 195 (+2% diameter over 185) give perfect speedo readings, but I'd use 185 on narrower wheels.

You can buy from TireRack and have them sent to your guy, who can also sign up as a "designated installer". Don't know if he makes any money on them, but being on the list can't hurt.

FRM

Comment

Working...
                        X