GM guy gone Mazda!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
    those were some pretty cool trucks. I bet gas is a bitch with them.
    No fun at the gas station. I don't even think you could sell a used truck with a 454 these days. I wonder how GM, Ford and Chrysler are going to do this year with truck sales? Everything they offer is big and heavy with 8 and 10 cylinder, 6 to 8 litre engines.

I've been a contractor for 20 years and have always appreciated the heavy duty trucks the Big Three had to offer. But, at $4 a gallon and going up, if I had to buy a new truck tomorrow, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be anything GM, Ford or Chrylser has to offer.

Eric M.

Comment

my 94 toyota 4x4 worktruck does just fine. 20ish to the gallon
      I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
      |.....Overnight....................| ||
      |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
      |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
      "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
      Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Hello and welcome Eric...

no doubt, Sir you are among those of like interests.

I also was a die hard American everything made, buyer.

Until my first Mazda LX.

I have seen a new light.

How un American it would be to not buy what we want that is made where ever and is legally shipped here, and the item suits my/our needs.

American auto manufacturers need to pull the blueprints of the BGs, and BFs and build a hybrid type and use obd I only.

An H type, and a S type for us Protege lovers.

Back on topic, Glad your here.

Chime in often. Don't dis the relics they are our fond memories.

Brother we are making memories with the present old Mazdas.

Got Zoom...?? Bet your a..scribble I do!!

David
        Ky

Originally posted by Eric M. View Post
        Hi,

I'm Eric, screen name Eric M. Back in High School (early 80s) I fell in love with Mopars. But, muscle cars became so expensive, I couldn't afford them. I turned my attention to GM trucks, there are millions around, they are dirt cheap and parts are everywhere. Now that gas is $4 a gallon, I can't afford them either.

Two Years ago my girlfriend got her drivers license. She needed something to drive, something older that had a few scratches since she was sure to add a few more. My brother had just picked up a mini van (for the family) to replace his 92 Protégé and was kind enough to pass it on to her. Two years later, the car hasn't missed a beat (and she didn't wreck it either). She liked it so much, when she decided to pick up something newer, she got an 03 Protégé.

Fascinated by this little car whose gas gauge barely moved and never needed repairs, I decided to "borrow" the 92 .... at least until gas prices went down!

My 69 Charger now sits safely in the garage - I'm scared to drive it as it's too expensive to repair. My GM trucks now sit covered in cob webs in the driveway as they are too expensive to gas up and the 2 Protégés are what we use these days.

I decided now would be a good time to learn about these cars so I can maintain them. No hot rodding, no tuning, no spoilers or turbos .... the goal is fuel mileage! (Maybe new wheels for the 03, those plastic hubcaps aren't gonna last long).

I bought Workshop Manuals for both and have dove in checking things out. This front wheel drive stuff and the engine sitting the wrong way in the engine compartment is completely new to me.

I'm hoping this forum can help me out when I run into problems the manuals don't address. I have a few posts up already and have got some very useful feedback.

Thanks,

Eric M.
        David
        sigpic Ky

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
          my 94 toyota 4x4 worktruck does just fine. 20ish to the gallon
          Yep, that is just what I want, but in 2wd. My ex (sorry, no pics. of her) had a 97 Tacoma extended cab, long bed with shell, she sold in 2004 for $5K. It was in perfect condition. I did all the maintenance since new (which amounted to nothing more than oil changes). I passed because I thought I had too many vehicles as it was.

Too many vehicles .... as if there could be such a thing!

My loss.

Eric M.

Comment

Agreed Sir....

I also own a Grumman Chevy Step Van w/ 6.2 diesel. and it is a sore place in my bank account. I don't fill the tank these days. I was planning to drive it to the meet and trailer my Mazda. I'm still thinking on that. 12 mpg sucks fuel.
            Darn a Detroit diesel anyway.

I would trade it for a tribute of equal value in a heart beat!

Mazdas are saving our lives at this time of energy/economic challenges.

Originally posted by Eric M. View Post
            No fun at the gas station. I don't even think you could sell a used truck with a 454 these days. I wonder how GM, Ford and Chrysler are going to do this year with truck sales? Everything they offer is big and heavy with 8 and 10 cylinder, 6 to 8 litre engines.

I've been a contractor for 20 years and have always appreciated the heavy duty trucks the Big Three had to offer. But, at $4 a gallon and going up, if I had to buy a new truck tomorrow, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be anything GM, Ford or Chrylser has to offer.

Eric M.
            David
            sigpic Ky

Comment

Working...
            X