New Member and new to to me 323 GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member and new to to me 323 GTX

Just bought a 88 323 GTX. Drove 4 hours to get it, was supposed to be running fine, and have the ailing turbo replaced with another. Neither was the case, but got the car much cheaper, as it wouldn't start (No Spark). Get it home, charged the battery and mess with it some, seems to have a blown head gasket or cracked block, while cranking it over, some anti-freeze start coming out of the down pipe flange. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. So time to do a head gasket and see whats up. Will put up pics soon, but its not a pretty car, metal mites have had their way with the body, but its going to be a daily driver so thats fine by me.

Shane-O

Welcome to cp
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

welcome to CP! The joys of buying a used car, people loved to go rallying in lol.

Feel free to post some pics of the car
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Pictures! Welcome, enjoy your stay.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
        1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
        1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
        1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
        1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Hi, i just got a GTX too.
          need help with my gtx
          http://. please check out my welcomi...ad.php?t=52356

looking for info on the 626 master cylinder upgrade

Comment

Sorry for the long time since posting but I have pictures and an update.

As I was removing the head, I found all kinds of stupidity. I had the head rebuilt, heat straightened and decked. The timining belt idler and tensioner made noise like a bad skate board wheel, so they got replaced. Had a new belt to replace but old one looked good and I didnt feel like unbolting a motor mount to get it off. Since the starter looked to be in a god awful spot to replace, I went ahead and replaced it with a reman unit. Had the turbo checked out its ok not bad as the previous owner said. Found out it is a VJ11 though! I talked to the turbo guy about combining the extra VJ14 that came with it to make a hybrid and he showed me that they have the same size turbines, so whats the deal with everyone making these hybrid turbos? It has an RX-7 intercooler, so that is probably gonna stay. Got it all put together and got it running. Runs ok but it doesnt have a chip for the computer so its over boosting quite a bit. BOV works though, and they got rid of the stock air bypass system, and water hoses for the turbo. I ordered the cheapo manual controller off evilbay to turn it down until I can get the chip. Was supposed to have an RX-7 MAF but its the same as the stocker in the trunk. It did come with a Turbo timer already installed, and a 2 1/2 exhaust, may have to change the flange side a bit as it doesnt seal like it should and leaks just a wee bit. I normally wouldnt mind but the safety inspection we have doesnt like it.

Its going to need some brake work, but they are usable at the moment. It has Koni red struts on it, anyone have any info on these? Ill get the part number off it in the near future. Power windows dont work at all, I suspect a power issue. The sunroof doesnt do anything other than the raise the rear mode. Since I will have to drop the head liner I may try and find a glass sun roof for it. Any tips on what year/car to look for? I have to reassemble some of the interior and put a radio in it. Oh yeah 2 new tires to compliment the 2 used but in good shape ones I bought today.

Thats enough for this week, my free time between regular job and part time job is done, maybe next week I can get more done. At least my part time job is at a parts store.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like you got some good parts with it.
              1990 Protege 4WD
              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

I had a pwer window issue with my car. it was in the main (driver side) switch the main ground got hot and burned the plastic so it had no connection but you could not tell just looking at it.
                need help with my gtx
                http://. please check out my welcomi...ad.php?t=52356

looking for info on the 626 master cylinder upgrade

Comment

Working...
                X