First timer seeking information and tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer seeking information and tips

Wats sup Mazda lovers this is my first time on the site, I have a 99 Mazda protege dx 5 speed Ijust got a good job at Verizon and I'm looking to do some mods to my car starting with rear suspension I would really appreciated if someone would give some tips
    Last edited by skywalkerva; 02-25-2012, 11:51 AM.

Idk y the angry face came up

Comment

Welcome to CP.

As a start, check out the 3rd Generation Mazda Protege / Familia (1999-2003) section of our Forum.

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

OK thanks can I bounce some ideas off of u. For the car if possible

Comment

Sure, I'll be glad to help if I can. You'll also find many other knowledgeable members of our forum whom I'm sure could help you, as well.

Happy Motoring!
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

I want to make my mazda a really good 5 speed with some speed with it, where would u start with

Comment

Do you have the 1.6 L or 1.8 L engine? With the 1.6 L engine there isn't much that can be done to increase its power significantly in normally aspirated form. The addition of a freer-flowing intake and exhaust system and possibly replacing the stock exhaust manifold with a header would give some added power but I'd guess no more than 10 to 15 BHP max, at best. It's also possible to swap your engine for an '01-'03 2.0 L engine which will give more power stock than could be obtained by modding your present engine as above. You would be somewhat better off if you have a 1.8 L engine as you're starting with more but, again, nothing really significant. Short of an engine swap, the only way to substantially increase the power output is to turbo your engine. You have to decide your ultimate power goal and how far you're willing to go to achieve it.

Assuming that your engine is in good shape, replacing your spark plugs with iridium/platinum types, checking your plug wires to ensure their resistance is within factory specs (and replacing them with Magnecors or NGKs if they're not), and switching to a good synthetic engine and transmission oil will at least allow your stock engine to be all that it can be, without going overboard.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Apart from power upgrades, suspension mods will certainly add to overall driving enjoyment. Stock, these cars handle well (assuming all suspension components and tires are in good shape) but they can be made to handle even better without too much effort. Replace the springs, shocks and stabilizer bars with aftermarket components and go to alloy wheels with wider tread, lower profile performance tires (maintaining the same wheel/tire o.d.). With a stock engine, your car won't be any faster in a straight line but it will be noticeably faster in the twisties.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Suspension should always come first. If its a 1.6 there was a member that boosted one a while back. Made over 200 HP. In a fwd econobox that feels good driving .
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Working...
                  X