New P5 Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New P5 Member

Hello all! I'm Nate. I have a 2002 Protege 5 which I purchased in March. I've been a mazda guy for a while. I've owned 4 Miatas, one of which I owned on three separate occasions, which on the last ownership I boosted it. I would love to boost my P5. I'm thinking about getting a MSP turbo setup, which from what I can tell should bolt right up. The compression ratio isn't much higher so I don't see that being an issue. The main thing I haven't thought out is engine management. I was thinking about the DIYPNP from DIYautotune since it is megasquirt based and that is what i'm used to from my miata. Any suggestions/recommendations/thoughts are welcome.

Welcome to CP.

For engine management, why not just get a PCM from a MSP?

Happy motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I thought I read that the compression ratio was slightly higher on the N/A's but after looking it up again, I see now that they are both 9.1:1. that is great news!

Comment

If you boost it a msp ecu and a ssafc will help you out a ton the ssafc isn't necessary but will make the car more enjoyable

Comment

Welcome nate!
          any more specs/mod list for the p5? or is it completely stock as of now?
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

as for right now it is completely stock. I'm probably gonna start with the msp turbo setup, get a FMIC for it. I really hate piggybacks but unfortunately that looks like what i'm gonna end up using for tuning, either that or i'll end up wiring in a Megasquirt since, like i said before, I have experience with it and have already purchased tunerstudios from when i had my turbo miata. That makes tuning with a megasquirt ten times easier.

Is there a list of things that are different on the msp's and the NA models on this forum? obviously the intake design is different as well as the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Is it a different intake manifold or TB? I assume the injectors are slightly larger on the MSP but I'll do a search real quick and see if i can find out.

Also does anyone know how many Bar the factory MAP sensor is good for?
            Last edited by f1luva92; 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X