Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

speedometer gear broke off in transmission.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedometer gear broke off in transmission.

hi there i never have done a forum before so im sorry if i do something wrong but... i need help really bad. i have a 92 protege dhoc 5 speed and i was going to get fresh transmission fluid, but when i took off my speedometer the gear was missing! only thing i can think of was that the gear broke off and is now sitting in the transmission. i cant get it with a magnet or anything like that. it was driving just fine till i took the speedometer out of the transmission. i saw only one other post like this but it didnt help at all and it was for another car. any ideas??? thanks so much.

The gear is plastic so magnet=no.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

i know there is metal on it because i got a replacement part for it. there is a rod that goes through the plastic gear... it broke off at the metal part.

Comment

Just because it's metal doesn't mean it's magnetic, though. The metal nuts holding my hood scoop on aren't magnetic, for example. I'm not familiar with the layout, but if you can somehow get a light or camera to see in the hole, you might be able to find it and maybe some long tweezers could get it out.

Comment

You may have to cozy up to the idea that you're not going to get it out without some major access moves. It should have come out with the assembly.

Comment

well i already got the transaxle case open but i cant see anything but gears its open but it will not get all the way off... but i think if i take it off all the gears ans stuff will fall out... idk i do know that its going to magnetize with it because the replacement part will.

Comment

Ya know---if all you were doing was putting fluid in the case, you may be able to just replace the cable assembly and have it re-insert right back into the gear like it was before. No worries. There's also the possibility that the gear is missing all together. Who knows why. You say the speedometer worked before? It's not best case scenario but it's better than some alternatives.
              \

Comment

Did you separate the trans case in the car?
                Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                Originally posted by HopelessCow
                there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

no. i dont have a picker. or i would take everything out... i just unbolted the transaxle case so i can look inside of it. i took the driver side drive line off to see if i can get at it there but no... even after THAT the transaxle case will not separate to get inside...

Comment

What are your thoughts about putting that case back together?

Comment

well.... i never did anything like that... but i just cant get it apart... all the bolts are off but its not wanting to get off there... i guess i could... i have my book on the car but... idk i got a friend who is really good at this kinda stuff but... idk

Comment

o ya forgot to say but ya the speedo was working just fine before this happend.

Comment

Did you remove the fifth gear assembly? If not, the case won't come off. Or if it does, you'll end up pulling the whole gear assembly out with it. Did you unbolt the transmission mounts?

Just throwing out ideas.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

A really powerful vacuum cleaner?

Comment

i've only EVER seen this happen to the mx3 v6 speedo gears. im quite taken by this.
                              you will have to live with the plastic chunks in the transmission. and or pull the whole transmission out of the car & tear it down.
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                              X