Newbie here from Arizona. Hard starting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here from Arizona. Hard starting question

Hello there. My wife has a 1995 Protege LX and runs great. 144k miles. She told me when the gas tank shows 1/4 it is a little harder to start when cold. Harder to start meaning instead of cranking for 1 second to start it takes 2 when cold. Not excessive cranking. Once started runs fine. I did notice when filling the gas when removing the gas cap you can sometimes hear a "whoosh". I am not sure if this is related or not. Any insights here? Thank you very much.
    Last edited by g-man480; 02-18-2014, 09:55 AM. Reason: misspelling

Your whoosh sound is perfectly normal, no problems there. It's actually a good sign I would think, means your gas tank is all sealed up!

The only thing I can think of is the design of the gas tank. If I remember right it is impossible to auto cross this chassis with under a half tank or it dies in the dives.

You could throw a new fuel pump in it but I doubt that will change anything. I think this one is genetics.

Comment

Welcome.

Has it always done that, or is it a new development?
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

I agree with 93EGTT. I have similar issues with my 98. Anytime I brake with less than a quarter tank of gas, my idle drops to just over 500rpm. I've gotten used to it

Comment

could also be you are all sucking up condensation that has built up over the past 20 yrs or so..it will sit at the bottom of the tank and depending on how it's driven wont get mixed back up with the gas. OEM original tanks do have a drain plug.

Comment

I am not sure. She just mentioned it. She has owned this vehicle for about ten years. I never noticed the starting difference until she mentioned it. I do not drive it too much.

Comment

Working...
            X