Considering a 2002 Protege 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a 2002 Protege 5

Someone has offered me a 2002 Protege 5 needing a clutch replacement in trade for one of my spare vehicles... I have no issues doing a clutch, but as I'm unfamiliar with the platform what other things should I look over prior to accepting their terms? For example one car I've had is notorious for rust where the trailing arms mount, etc.

Just looking to avoid coming out of this with a pile of scrap because a strut is known to blow through weak trunk supports or something along those lines.

From preliminary research the clutch looks like an 8+ hour job on this car, I'll do it at my leisure as I have a few other cars..

I offered to trade a car that runs but isn't pretty just to see if this person asking me to replace their clutch would bite and a few weeks later now they've asked me if I'd still do it... I figure theirs is better visually so with a couple hundred invested and some time I'll eventually come out nicely should the rest of the car be in decent enough shape.

Well I've acquired it... from research it looks like these cars love to rust out...

Good news is that it's not the clutch... I think it's the bad EGR/O2 sensor combo as I limped it home and the clutch grabbed fine.. fortunately I lived only about 2 miles from where it came from... worst case scenario I had a truck I could have brought it home with..

Comment

Glad it wasn't the clutch. Sounds like it might be a good deal for you. I hope so.

Welcome, by the way.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
      X