Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi guys

hi guys,

i just bought a 96 323 1.6 auto and joined the site to see if i could get some help diagnosing a missfire

Welcome. In what circumstance does the misfire occur?
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

At idle, maybe every 4 or 5 seconds I can feel the miss, if it's in drive it shakes the car and the revs drop a tiny bit, if the A/C is on, or at night with the headlights on it is almost constant instead of every 4-5 seconds.. I've noticed taking off from a standstill it seems to be missing abit with not much power/acceleration until you put your foot down further then it clears and seems fine.. At all other times the engine/driveline is dead smooth, rolling around corners the first few times I thought it stalled it was that quiet

Also mine seems to have factory central locking but I didn't get a bipper, does central locking = keyless entry meaning all I have to do is program a remote for it?

Comment

Have you checked/changed spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, filters, etc.?
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Comment

Turned out it was number 2 ignition lead, previous owner fitted generic leads and the boot melted and it was arcing out, on the way back from the parts store with the correct specific Bosch leads it spat the alternator belt lol.. All fixed now, hopefully nothing else goes bad

Comment

Glad you found it. Remember that for next time: cheap ignition wires are pure garbage. It's worth investing a bit in them.
            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Cheers, only problem now is after replacing the belt, I seem to be getting a supercharger type whine from the power steering pump I think.. Only there after about 4000rpm... I did use a 1/2" extension to hit it with a hammer to move it to get the belt off.. I'm guessing I damaged it somehow

Comment

I'm afraid I can't help you there. I don't know that generation well enough to comment on belt routing. Post a picture or video in the BHA subforum and describe what you did when changing the belt. That should get you some answers.
                1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Comment

Hi guy....

Comment

Working...
                  X