Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hola

Howdy Folks,

Chiming in from Calgary. Just doing some tune-ups and fluids on my '98 1.5L AT Protege and using this site as a resource.

Looking to change the plugs, flush the brakes, and assess the brake components shortly.

Not sure if anyone actually reads these introductory posts, so I'll add a couple likely common questions here in the off chance someone comes buy. Otherwise I'll likely keep mining for info on my own unless something goes horribly wrong.

Are there any great gen-2 parts distributors in Canada?
    Anyone have any secret tips for maintaining or tune-ing up a model as posted above?
    Will iridium/plantinum plugs really improve performance?

Anyways, the car runs well, We get about 450km per tank in the winter and close to 500km per tank in the summer. Mostly city driven. Car has 150k km on it.

Any good snake oils for the transmission people are using? No problems ever but you never know.

Thanks for reading and back to reading for me.

Cheers

Welcome to CP. Someone here always reads introductory posts.

Originally posted by Bguy View Post
    Howdy Folks,

Will iridium/plantinum plugs really improve performance?

Any good snake oils for the transmission people are using? No problems ever but you never know.

Thanks for reading and back to reading for me.

Cheers
    Iridium/platinum plugs really will improve performance. Go to:

My transmission snake oil is Red Line because it's a true synthetic derived from Group 5 Polyol ester basestocks. For more information go to:

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Welcome. I read most of these introductory posts, but in your case I don't have a lot of the specific information you need.

Goldstar has you covered though, and I agree with him on Redline oils. I got seven years of fun out of a lightly wrecked and abused BG 4wd transmission. That's a lot more than I expected. I used MT-90 in the gearbox from day one. I also used Redline 80w-140 in the rear differential. Not that I necessarily recommend that weight, but the reardiff is still intact...

I hope you find the information you need to maintain your car.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
      X