It's nice to be the second owner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nice to be the second owner.

Well... I'm a newbie to Mazda. I have an 86 Nissan 720 z24 and the gf has an 89 Corolla. Also did my time with euros. 92 VW Corrado vr6. 95 Volvo 850 turbo. So I've never had anything smaller than a 2.3 turbo.

My new daily is now a 1986 Mazda 323 DX 1.6i and as I drove it home for the first time tonight the clock rolled over to 109,002. I bought the car from the original owner for $600. I have the window stickers and the p.o. kept a meticulous log book of every fuel stop... And everything in between... I have the full history. The guy didn't check the oil without notation in a book. I plan to keep that going.

Ultimately I joined for assistance with repairs in the future/ I want to learn the culture with these cars and styling practices... and then there is this question-
    Has anyone installed a double din stereo and how did you do it?

Thanks in advance
    -Zac
    Attached Files

Also... Sorry for the poor quality oic. Storm rolling in.

Comment

You have a very unmolested original '80's grocerygetter. However, it is one of the best of that breed. If I were you, I'd do what you intend with maintenence records, in keeping with what the first owner did, and that's it. I think if things go the way they've been, that '80's hatches are gonna be collectors items and yours has probably the best potential to be such a thing as I've seen...mk 1 Rabbits are getting expensive so hey it could happen. You could do coilovers, big brakes, reversable things like that, and you could swap out that engine (put it in a crate and save for later just in case) for a turbo 1.8 and make a fun sleeper, but I'd leave it alone. It is what it is.
      "styling practices"? Nah. Fun to drive, cheap to run, it's the Mazda way.
      Oh Bull****. Put a set of coilovers on it, ($1500 or less), do the VR4 big brake upgrade ($600), drop in a BPT with the right and proper turbo ($$ couple grand on up depending on how much of the work gets farmed out), leave the coachwork and especially the wheels alone, and laugh your ass off by surprising the crap out of unsuspecting foxbody mustang owners as to what the hell just happened....
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Whatever you decide to do with your car, welcome to CP.

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Welcome. That is a fantastic score.

I agree with jay except I'd look into an FE3 instead of the BPT. It's supposed to be a much easier install on those cars than the BPT, and it has more potential too.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

My vision at this point is 1-2 inches lower on the stock rims... Dark tint and maybe a sound system but nothing crazy. I need a reliable car for a while. Too many projects lol... But I love sleeper cars so it might turn into a project...

Comment

Working...
            X