alright... what am i getting in to guys? lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alright... what am i getting in to guys? lol

Just bought a 92 protege 5 speed b6 motor. has slight valve tick and the guy i bought it from said it had adjustable valves and they just need to be adjusted. read up and found out that they are hydraulically adjusted, so do i need a new cam or what can i do to fix that. granted it does have 249900 miles on it has it sits so i expect some mechanic aspects to not be perfect. passed emission but failed gas cap. hell yeah for 500 dollar cars!!

Welcome.

It should be a B8 or BP, not a B6. The lifter tick is normal. You can try cleaning the lifters, but taking them out and putting them back is a lot of work. I wouldn't worry about it, personally. You don't need a new cam.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
      Welcome.

It should be a B8 or BP, not a B6. The lifter tick is normal. You can try cleaning the lifters, but taking them out and putting them back is a lot of work. I wouldn't worry about it, personally. You don't need a new cam.
      you are correct about the motor, i wasnt reading properly. its a b8. as far as the cam goes though, do they make aftermarket cams for that motor, and is the motor worth modding. im only looking to push close 200 n/a if thats possible

Comment

Not sure what's possible NA. 200 whp sounds feasable though. These engines were designed for boost. DOHC swap would be a good starting point. Either the head and cams, or the whole engine, depending on your time/money balance. From there you will have many more aftermarket options.
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Comment

well i make ok money but i dont have a **** ton throw into it so i think a head and cam swap would be best haha. also my shifter is incredibly loose, even in gear it wiggles around like its in neutral. is that a linkage problem or bushing..... if i put a short shifter in would that help?

Comment

Probably bushings.
            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Working...
            X