My 1993 Protege is POSSESSED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1993 Protege is POSSESSED!!

Sometimes, after driving it and stopping, it won't start again. If I wait awhile, it will start. But when it won't start, and I turn the key, nothing happens. I mean none of the electrical works - no lights inside, nothing. Not even a clicking sound. I am pretty sure, if history repeats itself, it would start this morning as I have not driven it all night, but it is frustrating the hell out of me. I took a wire brush to the battery posts and cleaned them. When I say "turn the key" I don't mean all the way to start the car - I mean nothing happens when I turn the key to simply turn on the electrical - radio, windows, dash lights, etc. I get nothing. But if I let it sit for awhile, it works again.

The battery is new. The alternator is BRAND new. Any ideas? It's a DX manual transmission.
    Last edited by merovie23; 07-18-2015, 03:27 PM.

Ignition switch.

/thread.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

I replaced the ignition switch recently, but with a used part taken from a junkyard. I still wonder why, after sitting for awhile, the car works again. Like I said - possessed.

Comment

Welcome to CP.

Have you considered an exorcism?

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Does your radio/clock reset after each failed start event?

IF YES) Check that your battery/main Ground is good. If that doesn't ground to the car nothing will. There is a chance that driving and heat is causing a bad connection.

IF NO) Double check your ignition switch.

Comment

Actually, the clock does reset. I'll check the ground. Like I said, after sitting for awhile, the electrical comes back. For instance, when I went to unlock the door yesterday, all the locks automatically unlocked. When it was dead, only the door I was unlocking would unlock.

Comment

Bad ground / Ignition Relay/Main Relay...
              Mazda
              1988 Black 323 GT
              DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

The ground is totally loose. I'm going to replace the battery terminal. For some reason the positive terminal is new but the ground is old as the car is. It's also got some weird shape where the nut goes deep into the terminal curve so I can't get a good hold on it. Talk about a defective design!

Comment

Working...
                X