Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new P5 owner

Hey all,

Picked up an 02 P5 a few months ago. It's had a rough life from the looks of it. lots of dents and scratches but the interior is pristine. everything works, cold a/c, sunroof, power windows and locks, cruise etc. burns oil like a sumbitch and smokes like a freight train in the mornings. from my reading it seems like that's a pretty common problem with that 2.0 and the valve guide seals?

it's got 250k on the odo and the throw out bearing is starting to make some noise. so judging that I know nothing about the cars history and it clearly needs a bit of work I'm seriously thinking about yanking the motor to do the clutch and dropping in a lower mileage engine in it's place.

I've done some searching, but can someone give me a solid answer if the 2.0 out of a protege sedan will drop into the P5 directly or do I need to try and find one that came out of a P5?

I'll toss up some pictures when I figure that out. been a while since I've frequented forums.

I love this damn thing though, it's got some character that's for sure. it's my second Mazda. I had an '00 Miata with bolt ons, and I've also had the luck to mess around with my dad's MINT 94 FD.

image.jpg

Comment

Welcome to CP.

Any FS-DE 2.0 L engine from 2001 to 2003 will fit without any problem in you P5. The 2001 MP3 engine will also fit but because of some tuning differences will require the PCM from that model to make full use of its capabilities and to prevent MIL problems.

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
        Welcome to CP.

Any FS-DE 2.0 L engine from 2001 to 2003 will fit without any problem in you P5. The 2001 MP3 engine will also fit but because of some tuning differences will require the PCM from that model to make full use of its capabilities and to prevent MIL problems.

Happy Motoring!
        thanks for the info! much appreciated.

Comment

welcome!
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
          X