Call me crazy 93 protege enduro build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me crazy 93 protege enduro build

Hello all! Brand new to the site and Mazda performance. I'm starting a build on a 93 Protege with the 1.8 liter. We will be enduro racing it...starting with short enduro's 2 hour minimum working our way up to multiple 8 hour days...then the ultimate 24 plus hours! Cage is almost done and we have bought a 22 gallon fuel cell. I'm looking for a little advice in a few areas.

We were going to try and stay with stock motor and ecu and do some work to the head nothing crazy just give it a little more power. If I stay with stock set up is there anyone that can build a wiring harness that is a little more user friendly? Motor is out of car already and wouldn't be objective to a different motor package. Thought I would get some feedback from you all.

I have been looking at some after market shocks and spring kits, any suggestions on what brand I should use? What is the opinion of the stock brakes and calipers? Car wont way much once we have completely gutted it and caged it.

Any help would be great,

Thank you

Nice dude! I'm looking forward to this. Are you in the Portland Area or up in Seattle?

a BP Protege would be a prime enduro racer. I've considered it for a long time myself. Still want to. Hey, if you have an open seat, I might be available to fill. There are a few things motor wise you can consider. Exhaust cam swap, sohc crank swap (lighter than dohc and direct fit), Kia upper intake manifold with a solid port/polish all around. All of these can be found by the not so hidden search function.

I have no input on brakes.. my understanding though, with these cars is it's all about the pad.

Post pics!
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Porterfield brake pads. I use R4 E's on my rallycar. They've been there through a total of at least half a dozen events, have never faded, and are still is good shape. I would throw those on the stock calipers and run dot5 fluid and be done with it.
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Jay, thank you for the direction on brakes. Dropped motor off at engine builder yesterday....says I should stongly consider going with a obd2 ecu it has more flexability on tunning. What is you opionion?

Comment

Megasquirt or the Evo ecu
          1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
          Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
          "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

I'd spend the money on a spare chassis or a really well designed 4-2-1 exhaust manifold instead of chasing 10hp with electronics.

You also said you wanted simpler wiring so god knows why you'd want an OBD2 ecu and harness.
            Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
            kitty, you are a hilarious woman
            Originally posted by HopelessCow
            there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
            Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Working...
            X