New member, 1995 Protege S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, 1995 Protege S

Hey, I'm Joel in Surrey BC. I've got a 95 Protege S (the base model with the 90-94 body style) SOHC Automatic. It's a beautiful car in great shape, low km's that I have been fixing up and daily driving for the past few months. She's a good little car and I hope to keep her on the road for a few more years until I'm done university.

So far its been easy to work on, but there are a few little things that have been tough to diagnose, but there looks to be a lot of knowledgeable people around here, I look forward to meeting you all!

J

welcome! what issues are you running into?
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I also am in surrey. There is lots of good people in here that can help. Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
        welcome! what issues are you running into?
        Thanks! The weirdest issue that I'm having is a strange ticking noise that comes slowly then suddenly disappears every 10-15 seconds or so. It seems to go away briefly after changing the oil but comes back after a week or so of daily driving. It happens at all revs, but is loudest when pulling up a hill at 3-4k RPM. It seems to stick around more if I have been pulling up a hill for a longer time in that rev range.

The other issue is that there is oil all over the engine. I've replaced the valve cover gasket, but I'm not convinced that that is the only leaky part because of the sheer amount of oil on everything and the fact that if the car sits for a few days, some oil gets on the exhaust and smokes. I thought the valve cover only leaks when the engine is running. That said, I have not let the car sit for a few days since replacing the gasket, nor have I tried degreasing the engine yet so there's still a possibility that the VC gasket fixed it. Are there any other common spots for oil seeping on these cars? It typically leaves a drop of oil a day in a random spot when just sitting

Originally posted by tireboy View Post
        I also am in surrey. There is lots of good people in here that can help. Welcome.
        That's cool, maybe I'll see your car driving around one day!

J
        Last edited by aj88keys; 12-17-2016, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Degrease the engine and recheck. Another issue maybe the distributor o ring. But it wouldn't leave oil on the manifold. What weight of oil are you running??

Comment

It does look like there's a bunch of oil around the distributor. I'm running 5w30 currently

Comment

I sell new Viton X distributor O-rings - that might be a good idea to change. also inspect to make sure the oil isn't leaking through the distributor(into the rotor/cap inside)
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

How involved is the process of replacing the distributor o ring? Do I need to remove the distributor and retime everything or is it easier than that? What about replacing the distributor itself (it's old and probably original since the plugs and wires were also original)?

J

Comment

Wait for someone to second me on this but it is quite easy. And in fact there are many YouTube videos showing "how to change a distributor o-ring"
                  I used one to show myself what to do, it in short: scribe a line across from the cam cover to the distributor, to use to reline when re installing. Undo the two bolts. And when you pull it out the less you turn the shaft the easier it will go back in.

Good luck and have fun [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Have done it myself x2 just mark n go.

Comment

Working...
                    X