Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy all!

New member from CT here.

I have a 2000 Protege DX I bought as a "beater" car: I commute about 75 miles a day and often take road trips for work. The car is paid for thanks to generous mileage reimbursement policies and is slowly developing issues.

My regular local mechanic says the car is not worth the money to fix, so I am planning on doing as much as I can myself.

I'm here for advice and support.

Welcome. How much cancer does it have, and what issues are developing?

Paid for beater is generally worth preserving in my book.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
      Welcome. How much cancer does it have, and what issues are developing?

Paid for beater is generally worth preserving in my book.
      So right now we are looking at a clutch and an oil leak from behind the timing cover.

I was quoted over $3K for clutch repair alone.

Body is about 90% solid, little rust near the bottoms of door skins.

So $3K is like twice what I paid for the car. Before being sidelined, she was still getting 31-33 MPG I just did tires and ignition coil packs recently.

Not sure I'm ready to drop the tranny and R&R clutch myself. Maybe I just need trip to the ghetto garage.

Comment

>$3K for clutch Pull and replace

Lol that is about double what is should be.

Do the rear main seal while trans is out.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
          >$3K for clutch Pull and replace

Lol that is about double what is should be.

Do the rear main seal while trans is out.
          Truth.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
          X