Delphi declares Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 94GLD-DX
    Hate GM, only reason they are still in business is cause they supply at least 90% of our car rental and government with unreliable and cheap cars to cart themselves around.... Just my 2 cents
    No. Hertz (I know) and I think Avis use Fords.

And for the longest time Gov vehicles have been fords... look at the Crown Vic...
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I didn't take the time to read all the posts but from what I understand off the 1st couple posts GM is in some deep shiat.

My friends g/f's dad is a mechanic and was saying that the big three are doing ****ty because their cars cost alot more than imports because the imports aren't unionized and GM, Ford, and Chrysler are, and therefore have to sell thier cars for more to pay their employees $25-30+/h compared to say $15-20 that the non unionized employees make.

I've also heard that the big three will all be gone within the next 5-10 years. If thats true I know I'm gonna have a huge going away party for Chrysler, I hate them the most, they make some of the ugliest cars. For example, why is there no 2 door charger? WTF is that?

Comment

big 3 have been predicted for doom for a while now...

Unions were a good thing 100 years ago. They needed them then. They really aren't needed now. Since the employees make more, GM has to try to turn a profit. Since they cant raise prices or pay their employees less... they must do other things to stay afloat... IE cheaping out on their quality and using ****tier parts that will break in a fraction of the time.
        Yeah its nice that the employees get more money, but at the cost of the company and the quality of thier cars.... it sucks.

Comment

Dont be so sure GM won't go down. It was the talk of SEMA. They are hurting far worse than anyone knows. I would not be surprised to see them acquired . Their biggest problem is the number of people they have on pension. It exceeds the number of employees they have. Add to that a drastic drop in the sale of fullsize SUV's and GM could be crushed.

Its really their own fault. They have consistantly lagged behind every major market trend and when they have chosen to compete, do it poorly. They still make the best fullsize SUV, some great trucks and of course the corvette, but they missed the boat on the minivan, midsized SUV and midsized sedan markets that are the bread and butter of a company like GM. Their quality control is also pretty poor.

I agree they have some great lines emerging. The new Pontiac line is great and the Saturn Sky convertable is about as nice as it gets. I hope they make it.

Ford and Chrysler are not all that healthy either. Daimler is very dissapointed with Chrysler although I think their product line is better than ever. Ford is loosing so much money they just keep making the cars cheaper and cheaper looking. The next few years should be interesting ones in the auto industry. ESPECIALLY the US auto industry.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
            No. Hertz (I know) and I think Avis use Fords.

And for the longest time Gov vehicles have been fords... look at the Crown Vic...
            Ok, you got me with the Crown Vic. But I think that if you look at it percentage wise, you will see that a pretty good reason that alot of the GM cars and trucks stayed in production was cause they were mainly used for rental fleets.
            94 Protege DX... A work in progress.
            Spring Tech Springs
            Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
            Cone Filter
            17" Rotas
            More to Come......

Comment

Originally posted by 94GLD-DX
              Ok, you got me with the Crown Vic. But I think that if you look at it percentage wise, you will see that a pretty good reason that alot of the GM cars and trucks stayed in production was cause they were mainly used for rental fleets.
              true, GM does build alot of the fleet trucks... (commercial repair/utility trucks are almost all GM's)

It just sucks b/c if GM goes under that means no more vettes or anything like that.

Comment

Working...
              X